Pilot Light Button On Furnace Won't Turn - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Pilot light button on furnace won't turn

I'm trying to light my furnace pilot light, but for some reason the pilot light button will not turn so I can light the gas. For some reason the pilot light went off some time is the summer, and now that it's turned cold again....

This happened once before, seven years ago. The furnace is a Roberts-Gordon, 25 years old.

I know what I need to do to light this (there's a sticker inside that explains how to light the Pilot), now the only thing stopping me is that the Pilot Light button will not turn. It says "depress button and turn counter-clockwise from OFF to PILOT. then light the gas with a taper (long match). Hold button down for sixty seconds, then release, pilot should stay lit. Then turn the button further counter-clockwise to ON." (I'm paraphrasing)

Well my problem is that the button is already in the ON position, so I want to turn it to PILOT. I press down but it won't turn, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. I can't turn it to the PILOT position. Something, (I'm guessing that it's probably a safety feature), is stopping the button from turning.

Can anybody explain what I need to do to get the button to turn to PILOT so I can light it?

Thanks in advance I hope I've explained sufficiently and not been too long-winded....

Advertisement

whydonchathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Going from on to pilot can vary. Some go from on to pilot by just turning, no pushing. Some require a slight push down, but not all the way, some are pushed all the way (rare...at least what I've encountered). Not saying it can't happen, but I haven't encountered one that is locked up totally and wouldn't turn. Try a varied amount of pushing down...but don't force it.

Advertisement

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hey Kyle,

thanks for the speedy reply, I was out, just got home.... well I did try varying amounts of pushing, and I tried turning the button without the pushing, nothing works. It's like it's locked in the ON position.... I'll try again, but I already tried two sessions of it, it wouldn't turn. I think there's some kind of preventative safety going on...... I'm missing smth.....
whydonchathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

I'm not sure. Maybe try Google with the furn model & serial number. Also try the gas valve manufacturers name and model number.
Can you post a photo?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

you can't go from ON to PILOT you need to turn it to OFF press it down and turn it to pilot and hold it down...light it hold it 60 seconds(till the thermal couple heats up) and release it...pilot should stay ON....then turn to ON now!
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
you can't go from ON to PILOT you need to turn it to OFF press it down and turn it to pilot and hold it down...light it hold it 60 seconds(till the thermal couple heats up) and release it...pilot should stay ON....then turn to ON now!
On occassion I get to light appliances. Some of those I see are turn to the pilot position, then push down to light. Some are push down and then turn.

Foolish question, the ball valve is on? If the handle is in-line with the pipe, it is on. If the handle is purpindicular to the pipe, it is off.

Advertisement

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button won't turn , furnace , pilot light , roberts-gordon