Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

Pilot light

I turned off the pilot light of my gas furnace to set of some bug bombs in the house by turning the control from "On" to "Off". I then turned the handle for the gas line to the control panel to off as well. That worked fine. However, I can't figure out how to relight the pilot on this 50 year-old Coleman furnace. It says it cannot be lit with a match. But my first question is this: the bottom part of this old furnace unit I believe is the air hanndler for the air conditioner for the basement and first floor of my house. It turns on when the air conditioner is on. Is it ok to let the airconditioner run that is using the air handler of the furnace if the pilot light is out and the controler is "off"?

john cohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
how

Pilot light

No problem with running the a/c without the furnace gas on.
Are you sure it's 50 yrs old?

It will probably need to be re-lit with some kind of flame so I think you should take a photo of the gas valve controls and pilot assy so we can better help you.

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Pilot light

Quote:
Originally Posted by john cohan View Post
I turned off the pilot light of my gas furnace to set of some bug bombs in the house by turning the control from "On" to "Off". I then turned the handle for the gas line to the control panel to off as well. That worked fine. However, I can't figure out how to relight the pilot on this 50 year-old Coleman furnace. It says it cannot be lit with a match. But my first question is this: the bottom part of this old furnace unit I believe is the air hanndler for the air conditioner for the basement and first floor of my house. It turns on when the air conditioner is on. Is it ok to let the airconditioner run that is using the air handler of the furnace if the pilot light is out and the controler is "off"?
running a/c is fine...get us a picture of gas valve assy...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote