Pilot Generator For Old ITT Valve - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pilot Generator for old ITT valve

I'm trying to determine the proper replacement for a pilot generator on one of our very old, retrofitted payne furnaces.

They both look like this:

I've seen possible replacements (750 millivolts) online, but I'm not sure about the millivolts necessary for our gas valve and I don't wish to harm the gas valve by supplying too much voltage.

The voltage from our functional furnace's generator reads between 400 - 450 millivolts yet it's old and maybe isn't generating the voltage that it used to when new.

Gas valve specs: ITT: K9G or K9C (it's hard to read)

Specs from the controlling thermostat: 'For use with Millivolt System and B54M gas valve only'

Does anyone have any idea if the 750 millivolt generators would be okay here or should I look for something in the 400 millivolt ranges?

Thanks for your insight,
Lawrence

P.S. we plan to replace the furnaces soon, but I'd like to keep them going for another year.

Advertisement

lawrence20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 151

Sorry I can't help, but how old is that furnace? Looks pretty cool!
Maybe you could go with a new gas valve, stat and pilot thermocouple?

Advertisement

52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence20 View Post
I'm trying to determine the proper replacement for a pilot generator on one of our very old, retrofitted payne furnaces.

They both look like this:

I've seen possible replacements (750 millivolts) online, but I'm not sure about the millivolts necessary for our gas valve and I don't wish to harm the gas valve by supplying too much voltage.

The voltage from our functional furnace's generator reads between 400 - 450 millivolts yet it's old and maybe isn't generating the voltage that it used to when new.

Gas valve specs: ITT: K9G or K9C (it's hard to read)

Specs from the controlling thermostat: 'For use with Millivolt System and B54M gas valve only'

Does anyone have any idea if the 750 millivolt generators would be okay here or should I look for something in the 400 millivolt ranges?

Thanks for your insight,
Lawrence

P.S. we plan to replace the furnaces soon, but I'd like to keep them going for another year.
Did you ever find out if that 750mv thermocouple was too much voltage for teh old valve that demanded less? I'm in the same boat and do not want to damage a gas valve by introducing too much voltage. thx, DS
vcheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

it is only millivolts 250 or 750 is just the values seems... 500Mv is minimum with a 750Mv to run the valve thu a wall mounted stat.if you jump the wired directly to the valve with the gas OFF bet the valve will click open.the run thru the limits and up to the wall stat pull on that Mvs http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/co...=read;id=97102

Last edited by biggles; 12-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I never replaced the pilot generators. We decided it was best to upgrade the old furnaces with a single modern unit (Trane XV95).

Thanks for all of the replies.
lawrence20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence20 View Post
I never replaced the pilot generators. We decided it was best to upgrade the old furnaces with a single modern unit (Trane XV95).

Thanks for all of the replies.
Thanks for the info. I just replaced mine generator today. I hope I get a few more years out of mine. It would however be nice to have a modern unit.

Advertisement

vcheez is offline   Reply With Quote