Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Pg9maa-high carbon monoxide reading

I am getting a reading of 1000ppm in between houses. they are less than 3 ft. apart. the exhaust venting appears not to be blowing very hard yet still manages to function. would have thought it would have gone out on pressure. very acidic smell
at front of house. Could this be a inducer motor issue.( not going out on pressure) ???? I am going to remove it tomorrow to check it out. Also, if capacitor is toasted it should kick out on pressure as well.(correct)? Any support would be appreciated as Payne is not a familiar product for me. I know they are all very similar, but hopefully you have more knowledge on this product than I do.

CURIOUS TECH.

Last edited by beenthere; 02-29-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Changed to lowe case
JSCOTTYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Is there any airflow between the houses or are there fences etc. that are limiting air movement? Is this a 1 pipe, 2 pipe (or coincentric) instalation? Does the exhaust vent push straight accross towards the other house or is it angled towards the open area between the houses?

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
how

1000 ppm in the open air between houses or from the exhaust outlet??
Are you getting a CO count in the furnace plenum?
When was the last time your co detecter was calibrated?

Age & model of the Payne would help.

Yes the pressure switch would be locking out the furnace with an inducer/capaciter failure. Do you have a blinking led diagnostic light on the furnace? Has the furnace been locking out?
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

A 1000 ppm outside? That furnace better be shut off right now. Excess fuel, not enough combustion air,broken or plugged heat exchanger are all prime causes of high CO in the flue gas.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

1-single pipe
2-approx 10 yrs
3-nothing in plenum
4-pg9maa036080

agree about lack of combustion air and fuel mix.also heat is not quite the same in the house although furnace runs for a
long time.

Will let you know what i find!

TY FOR ANY HELP YOU HAVE GIVEN
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Is it burning nat gas or propane? check the hose on the burner box that attaches to the gas valve to make sure it is intact and not cracked/leaking. it modulates the gas pressure. did U check the manifold pressure? pull the blower and look for water on the secondary exchanger as they had lots of failures of them. that may be the real problem.

Last edited by yuri; 02-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

Pulled venting apart(no blockage). Removed inducer motor and ran it while removed(more air flow thru inducer was obvious).....blocked exchanger diagnosed! Change exchanger or furnace replacement....customers choice! Exchanger may be under warranty but labour is extra.

Thank you for your assistance guys! Ttyl :d
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Hate to be negative but obviously it will move more air when disconnected. It is designed to work against a properly sized vent system. We use a differential manometer to check flow thru a heat exchanger and the pressure switch prevents it from firing when it is too low or blocked. Hope you don't get burned on a misdiagnosis.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #9

ALREADY CHECKED ALL YOU RECOMMENDED BEFORE HAND. TALKED TO TECH SUPPORT ABOUT READINGS JUST TO BE SURE AND THEY ALSO
FIGURED IT WAS A BLOCKED EXCHANGER! THE OLDER PAYNES HAVE VERY SMALL PART OF THE EXCHANGER ON THE BOTTOM. THIS IS LIKELY WHERE IT'S BLOCKED. AND YES I AGREE ABOUT GOING OUT ON PRESSURE. I APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE THOUGH!

Tags
curious tech.