Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Share |

PEX in-floor radiant heat

Hey Folks,
Newbie to the board here but not a newbie to the trade industry. I'm a home remodeler/carpenter/cabinetmaker but know how to do almost everything in a safe manner (electric, plumbing, etc).

I have a small project in my own home I need some help with. I want to put PEX hydronic (hot water) radiant heat in a powder room. It will be covered with ceramic tile. Anyone have experience with this? I know you can't just pipe 180 degree water through the PEX...or can you? Can I use copper under the tile? I know, I know copper is through the roof and a waste of money but I have an abundance from when I did my boiler/heating system a few years back and it's here laying around. This is a VERY low-budget project meaning if I have it in the house, it will work and looks good it's getting used. Sure pex it cheap but if I can use something I have first I'd rather do so.

Anyway, how do I pipe this back to the boiler? What happens if I run straight hot water through the pipes? Can I use a monoflow tee to run the loop to "lower" the temperature?

Thanks so Much.

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
REP

PEX in-floor radiant heat

First,copper wears out after a number of years and leaks .Pex is compatable with any substance used to encase it.
Second you will heat the floor with about 90+ degree water maybe even 80 degree water.
Caution,do not put pex near toilet as it will melt the wax ring if you do.
Third ,you will need a mixing valve to lower the water temp by mixing it with cold water usually from the return loop.
This is a fairly simple installation but you need to do a lot more learning about it than you have done so far.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote