Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #1

Share |

permanent pressure gauge?

hey everyone.

is there a way to have a permanent pressure gauge installed on the high side and low side of a cooling unit.

For the one who are familiar with my cooler issues , I was thinking that maybe i could screw on both shraeder valves a permanent pressure gauge instead of using a manifold gauge set.

I am looking into something that would give me a constant reading on the line pressures. ( kind like the thing you would find on an air compressor )

does something like this exist?

thank you

nicksab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #2

You can do this, but the gauges need to be installed at service valve. Also you need to take care the weather condition etc....AC is stable system, it doesn't need this kind of care.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

That's overkill....
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clocert For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-22-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

having been in the hvac for 30 yrs both with Trane and York it has come to the fact that guages can't read a constant pressure and take a beating liquid filled with restricters...on and on ...might consider a laser thermometer check the pressures and read the temps then just shoot the pipes to see whats going on....if the condenser starts to get fouled it will be reflected in the liquid line and or the discharge line...same with the suction if your losing freon say on spring start up the temp will not be there..
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
having been in the hvac for 30 yrs both with Trane and York it has come to the fact that guages can't read a constant pressure and take a beating liquid filled with restricters...on and on ...might consider a laser thermometer check the pressures and read the temps then just shoot the pipes to see whats going on....if the condenser starts to get fouled it will be reflected in the liquid line and or the discharge line...same with the suction if your losing freon say on spring start up the temp will not be there..

thank you for your reply. and i understand about the gauges. that was just an idea i was thinking about.

I have another question though.

When i turn the compressor on, it will cycle a few times before it stays on. Each cycle is last longer until it stays on.

Could that be a pressure problem?

I don t have a pressure reading at the momentbecause i can t find a manifold gauge set that works on R 401A anywhere locally.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #6

The low pressure cut out is set too low. Set it at 65 psi with a 25 differential. Im assuming this is a cooler.

As far as permanent guages. Any pressure reading device is going to fail eventually. You can buy the manifold guage and an adaptor to screw on to the service port. You also want to have a way to access the system too, so a tee will be necessary.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
The low pressure cut out is set too low. Set it at 65 psi with a 25 differential. Im assuming this is a cooler.

As far as permanent guages. Any pressure reading device is going to fail eventually. You can buy the manifold guage and an adaptor to screw on to the service port. You also want to have a way to access the system too, so a tee will be necessary.
It is for a cooler that runs on R 401A.

There is a jonhson pressure controller on the suction side right before the compressor. For what i recalled, the cut out is way lower than 65 psi. the needle is towards the bottom around 15 i think but i will double check tommorrow.

as for the manifold gauge, i can t find one that is for R 401A freon. All i can find locally is for R 22 or R134A.

Do manifold gauge work for any freon or does it has to be specific? If it needs to be specific, could you suggest me one that is easy to use and not too expensive? please
Thank you
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

Its works for any pressurized gas. The colored rings are for saturated refrigerant temperatures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Cold For This Useful Post:
nicksab (09-22-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LX1036PB-R41...item35b55ba419

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJboy For This Useful Post:
nicksab (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Its works for any pressurized gas. The colored rings are for saturated refrigerant temperatures.
ok that makes sense.

What do you suggest as thermometer? laser or strap-on?

I heard that IF temperature meter are useless on copper
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:

I checked the jonhson pressure controller.

The cut out is set at 10 and the cut in at 20. Is that normal?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #12

That's too low
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #13

Im going to revise my numbers. I was looking at the wrong chart.

Set the cut out for 25, and the cut in for 50.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Im going to revise my numbers. I was looking at the wrong chart.

Set the cut out for 25, and the cut in for 50.
That s for R 401A , correct?

sorry to ask again but i don t want to break anything and just want to double check that we are talking about the same freonand it is a 20+ years old cooler.

the johnson says in. vac on it. Is it the same as psi?