Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
MB1

Rewards Points: 25

Per Pictures - Does this waterheater roof vent modification matter?

Hello, I am trying to figure out whether this gas water heater vent cap and/or roof jack/pipe flashing modified by my roofer matters and needs to be corrected, and if so, where can I find the correct parts? I’ve search the internet but can’t located the cap or full assembly.

Please see attached photos. You'll notice the supports on the flue were snipped to remove the original pipe flashing, leaving it very wobbley, then the new flashing was installed to attach the the new mushroom style cap. I also think the old one may have had a collar.

- 2003 Mobilehome, waterheater located in carport
- I have had hot water since the modification 30+ days ago.

Reason I am concerned:
  • Cap appears to have been engineered for a particular reason, and I noticed that the cap is different for similar mobiles by same manufacturer when the water heater is located inside the house.
  • Codes – Almost all the mobiles in my neighborhood, even those 20-30 years old, are like this if heater is located in carport.
  • The inner & outer pipe I think were meant to be a unit
  • Potential performance, Energy efficiency, fire hazard, so implications?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and appreciate the insight and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Per Pictures - Does this waterheater roof vent modification matter?-after1_wh_small.jpg   Per Pictures - Does this waterheater roof vent modification matter?-before1_wh.jpg  

Last edited by MB1; 02-02-2012 at 12:30 AM.
MB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

what kind of hot water tank is it? picture of tank wold help alot

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
MB1

It is a Rheem Glass Warrior 21I40T, about 9 years old. Will get a picture of it up later.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,750

Looks dangerous as heck to me. If it does not get a proper draft thru it then it will burn dirty and definitely produce CO carbon monoxide and could spill it out the front of the burner into your house. It also should extend about 3 feet thru the roof. The idiot roofer you had should be thrown off the roof for being such a hacker and irresponsible IMO.

Rheem should be able to advise you what they want and I would phone them and explain what you have and what the problem is.

Last edited by yuri; 02-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
MB1

Thanks Yuri. And you probably recall this is the roofer who threw out the engineered crown on my furnace and replaced it with the wrong one. I would love to get your opinion on this thread in roofing which is related to what I think is incorrect venting of all my bathroom fans: Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean? (Maybe I should have split up my roofing post and posted it here instead?)

I actually called Rheem yesterday, gave them my serial number, and talked to someone who said that if it was working ok, then the cap I have should be ok. I explained I wanted to put back on the original part, was transferred to the parts department, and they didn't offer such a part.

In this case, why is CO an issue given the WH is in my carport?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Last edited by yuri; 02-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
MB1

Photos attached per requests. I'm aware it needs drip pan, drainage to outside, and stronger bracing to meet current code, anything else I'm ignorant of
Attached Thumbnails
Per Pictures - Does this waterheater roof vent modification matter?-wh-picts.jpg  

Last edited by MB1; 02-02-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

OK. It just needs a 4" B vent chimney and extend it 3 feet above the roofline so swirling winds do not affect it and to meet code. Get them to attach it directly to the draft diverter on top of the tank. Looks like they damaged/ruined the one you have and now it needs to be yanked out and redone and supported properly. Cannot just rest on top of the water heater diverter, but you can vent the heater with 4" B vent instead of 3 inch single wall like now. I don't know much about bath fan venting or mobile home codes etc but someone around here in a day or 2 may help. Try posting it in the construction forum too.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 02-02-2012 at 04:38 PM.