Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

Pellet stove

Hi guys

I have decided to pass on installing a furnace in my cottage, which means adding another gas stove (propane) or a wood burning stove (pellet)

I know very little about these stoves, so I welcome ALL input (good or bad) and appreciate the info.

Cottage basement is about 700 sq ft, insulated, but, not finished yet. Post away, Thanks!

Michael

n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Pellet stove

I looked into buying a wood pellet stove for our house. The plus is that they throw a lot of heat, you can buy an automatic stove that runs on a thermostat, and they use readily available pellets. The minus is that they don't work if the power goes out, wood pellets are more expensive per BTU than firewood in most locations. We ultimately decided to get a wood stove because it works without electric power, and we lose power fairly regularly where I live.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Pellet stove

If your in an area where it's prone to power outages, I agree, a wood stove or a gas stove (propane) would be better. Pellet stoves are nice, but still need power to run. So you're back to square one, no heat.

Additionally, the pellets are sold by the ton or 40lb bag. You need a dry location to store all the wood pellets. The 40 pound bags have to be loaded into a hopper compared to a couple of pounds of wood. If you're young no problem, if you're elderly, might not be a good idea to be picking up and lugging around all those 40lb bags of pellets. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by jmon; 01-24-2014 at 09:32 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Pellet stove

Great! Some good things to consider, I do plan on having a back up generator, but, just curious how the power failure stops the stove from working? Sorry! I am a newbie at this and appreciate the help!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Pellet stove

While they can be lit manually, pellet stoves still require electricity for the igniter, (if equipped), auger to feed pellets to burn pot, control panel/board, blowers (to blow/circulate hot air into room), exhausts for venting and properly controlling combustion. Without electricity to run these, the fire will just die out in no time and fumes may enter back into your home.

If you have or plan to have a back-up generator or some source of back-up power for the pellet stove, then your good to go. So you would have to factor in the cost of a back-up power source for the pellet stove idea. Just a thought.

Last edited by jmon; 01-24-2014 at 09:29 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Pellet stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omichael View Post
Great! Some good things to consider, I do plan on having a back up generator, but, just curious how the power failure stops the stove from working? Sorry! I am a newbie at this and appreciate the help!
Ayuh,.... Unlike a chunk wood stove that you just fill the firebox, 'n burn it,...

Pellet stoves use a fuel hopper, 'n auger drill to feed pellets into the firebox, as they're burnt,...
The auger feed, 'n the blowers are Electric,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #7

Pellet stove

In my dad's small camp long ago we tossed out the old wood stove and installed a Vermont Castings gas parlor stove.
Now there's no more dirt, bugs and snow dragged in.
No soot on the walls and ceiling any more.
Instant heat with the touch of a button.
No power needed.
No chance of a chimney fire.
No fuel storage issues.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

Pellet stove

Great info guys, looks line propane will be the way to go, THANKS!!

The Following User Says Thank You to n2omichael For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-25-2014)