Peerless Steam Boilers - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Peerless Steam Boilers

Hi I have just had 2 Peerless steam boilers installed. I am having a very annoying problem with one of the boilers. The boiler will run long enough to reach the temperature on the digital thermostat and then for the next half hour it will shut off and on every 1 to 2 minutes constantly. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem. Once the radiators are up to temperature I do not think it is normal for the boiler to come on and off for just a minute or 2 and keep shutting off. I had boilers that were probably at least 30 years old and never encountered this problem. I would appreciate everyones help.The boilers are a one pipe steam system.

Advertisement

Last edited by BarbaraM; 11-18-2009 at 04:33 PM.
BarbaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,576

Peerless Steam Boilers

1 or 2 pipe system?
Could be incorrect setting on the boiler controls.
Could be the thermostat.
Could be its oversized.
If its 2 pipe. Could be a trap leaking through.

Need more info on what is installed.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #3

Peerless Steam Boilers

Hi, I am the one having the problems with the 2 peerless steam boilers I had installed back in October. I guess the man who installed the boilers had 2 pipes going into the boiler instead of only 1 so he came and fixed that problem but the boilers still go on and off for about an hour before the thermostat is satisfied. I wish I kept my old boilers no problems with those just the fact that they were old and i didnt want them to break down in the middle of the winter so we replaced them before that happened. We got the pipes to stop banging but now we have to live with the annoying problem of listening to these boilers shut off and on every minute for up to 1/2 hour. I cant believe this is normal and we changed all of our valves on the radiators and you have to hear the noise they make loud clicking sounds loud enough to wake you up. What a nightmere this has been. Im wondering if we bought another brand boiler if we would run into the same problems. My house has only 6 radiators and i dont think the boiler should have to run an hour to satisfy the thermostat. Something is wrong its just no one can seem to figure it out or they dont know and are just passing the buck and telling me this is because the new boilers produce steam so much quicker then the old ones and this is how they work. Well I dont buy it . Very annoying listening to boilers running all night off and on off and on. Sounds like a tornado coming through my house. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

Smaller water capacity boilers do make steam quicker. And it is a common thing for then to cycle more often.

If your plumbers just put in the same size boilers as you had. Without sizing to the rads you have. You will have lots of cycling.

It wouldn't make any difference what brand was installed, over sized low water capacity steam boilers do this.

One thing you can check though. If they installed a new thermostat. Is it digital. If it is. Does it have a CPH setting. If so, and its set to 1. Set it to 2.

This is a common complaint for over sized steam boilers.

PS: Can you post pics of the boiler piping.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Peerless Steam Boilers

The heat anticipator setting is probably off on the thermostat or the thermostat is bad.

Or the differential on the pressure trol is incorrectly set.

Have the installers come back and fix it.
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #6

Peerless Steam Boilers

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. We will try to figure out how to get the pictures on here of the piping. He did however measure my radiators and went to the warehouse with the measurements. My digital thermostat does not have a cph we checked the paperwork and see nothing about this. Its once all the radiators get hot then it starts to cycle off and on for quite sometime. I cant stand the noise. They even changed the nozzle to a smaller one then the one that came on the boiler. I wish I knew what I was in for I would of never never changed my old boiler. Maybe it wasnt as efficient but at least it would run and then shut off without going off and on every couple of minutes. There has to be some solution to this. You mean to tell me everyone with these new boilers goes through this same situation. The man who installed it said this is the smallest boiler they make. Also the new valves on the radiators make alot of noise is there something inside that lets the steam out and once the steam is out it closes up. What a nightmere. So even if I got another brand boiler I would still have the same problem?? Try to get those pictures posted but the man who represents peerless boilers came to my house and made the installer change around the piping system to the way it should have been but nothing has changed except no more banging of pipes. Thanks for your help. Im waiting to hear back from the man from peerless he was suppost to make a couple of phone calls about the on and off situation. I just hope he calls me with good news and maybe an adjustment can be made. Cant wait for the summer so I can shut them down.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

What brand and model number is your thermostat.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

Also, can you post the model number of your boiler.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

When making a reply. You can click go advance.
Then at the top of the window, you will see an attach icon, similar to what your email program has.
Click on it, and follow its instructions, and you will be able to up links to the pics.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Peerless Steam Boilers

First let's address the radiator vent noise. If they are loud you do not have adequate main line venting. What is the steam control set to. Do you have main pipe insulation?
What is the water level doing when the boiler is making steam, is it steady or bouncing a lot?
As Beenthere asks what is the model number.
The original two pipes out of the steam boiler is actually better but it will be OK with one.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk03 View Post
The original two pipes out of the steam boiler is actually better but it will be OK with one.
Yeah. Thats strange removing a supply pipe from the header.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #12

Peerless Steam Boilers

Hi The model number for the boilers is ect03-sf and the model number for the digital thermostat is rs2110 and the brand name is robertshaw. As far as the water in the tube on the boiler when the boiler is running it has a little bit of a bounce not alot. The man from peerless checked it and said it was good. The thing is we never had one problem with our old boilers so I am beginning to believe it is because this one creates steam much quicker but you would think after heating up the radiators it would shut off instead of coming off and on. As far as the pipes the reason he removed one was because he said one was heating up faster than the other and this was creating the banging of pipes. What is considering adequate main line venting? Is the steam control setting the same as the psi setting I know this is set at 1/2lb to 1lb. I hope to get this resolved within the next couple of days just sitting waiting for the phone to ring and hope he tells me it is nothing more than a couple of adjustments.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Peerless Steam Boilers

Are your controls small with a gray colored cover. Or are the covers see through.

Probably could have gone with the next size smaller boiler. It would have been a different model line then what you have.

How are you making out with posting pics.

Is there a vent on the piping in the basement.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Peerless Steam Boilers

I assume this is only happening when you come out of night setback is that correct? If so how is it operating during normal run cycles and not coming out of setback.
To keep the boiler running the thermostat must still be calling. I cannot believe it takes 1/2 hour to satisfy the thermostat when maintaining temperature.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #15

Peerless Steam Boilers

Hi I do not play with the temperature on my thermostat. It is kept on 69 and if it gets very cold outside i turn it up to 70. I understand what you are saying and I agree it should not take this long to satisfy the thermostat that is what my gripe is also. I just dont understand what the problem could possibly be here and I have the differential on the thermostat set at 1degree. Any suggestions??

Advertisement