Payne PG9YAB High Efficiency 95% Furnace Water Draining Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Payne PG9YAB high efficiency 95% furnace water draining problem

Hi I have a licensed professional AC installer installed a Payne 95% furnace PG9YAB048080 horizontal furnace in the attic 3 months ago but after we start using it we realized the water wont drain properly while the furnace is running, the water accumulate inside the condenser and cause the sensor to kick in and shuts down the furnace every 5 mins, but right after it shuts down the water starts to drain and after about a 1 min the furnace will turn on again and run for another 5 mins until the water is accumulated again. My installer came to my house several times and seems he has no experience about installing a 95% efficiency furnace, what he told me is that the dealer told him he need to do a T pipe on the exhaust pipe but he tried that and still didn't work, he said somehow when the Furnace is on the pressure inside the condenser is actually holding the water not allow it to drain through the draining pipe, but after the furnace shuts down it release the pressure and water start to drain out from the furnace.
I know he is out of solution now so I am wondering if someone has experience about this?

Thank you

Advertisement

Last edited by jchen64; 12-06-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add more detail
jchen64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,092

you should not install a condensing furnace in the attic if your climate gets to or below freezing. you can try to wrap the drain line and trap with heat tape and insulation. the flue most slope back to the furnace the entire way

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 700

Get him to CAREFULLY follow the install info and pics about hanging and elevating and sloping the unit 1" higher on one side so it slopes better towards the drain or whatever Payne recommends.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

What does the owner's manual say? Might even answer your question.
Sounds like if you read that you'll know more than the guy who put it in.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds to me like a condensate trap issue.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen64 View Post
My installer came to my house several times and seems he has no experience about installing a 95% efficiency furnace,

Tell him to pay someone to repair the furnace that knows what their doing. He may not have even vented the furnace correctly. If he has no experence, he should not have installed it I would feel unsafe to use a furnace that he installed, if he has no experence installing this furnace
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
you should not install a condensing furnace in the attic if your climate gets to or below freezing. you can try to wrap the drain line and trap with heat tape and insulation. the flue most slope back to the furnace the entire way

I am in Southern California , the lowest temp here is about 45F, should I still try to wrap the drain line with heat tape?

Thanks
jchen64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,092

no, that would be for an attic where freezing temperatures are possible
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP4661 View Post
Sounds to me like a condensate trap issue.

I agree.
HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen64
Hi I have a licensed professional AC installer installed a Payne 95% furnace PG9YAB048080 horizontal furnace in the attic 3 months ago but after we start using it we realized the water wont drain properly while the furnace is running, the water accumulate inside the condenser and cause the sensor to kick in and shuts down the furnace every 5 mins, but right after it shuts down the water starts to drain and after about a 1 min the furnace will turn on again and run for another 5 mins until the water is accumulated again. My installer came to my house several times and seems he has no experience about installing a 95% efficiency furnace, what he told me is that the dealer told him he need to do a T pipe on the exhaust pipe but he tried that and still didn't work, he said somehow when the Furnace is on the pressure inside the condenser is actually holding the water not allow it to drain through the draining pipe, but after the furnace shuts down it release the pressure and water start to drain out from the furnace.
I know he is out of solution now so I am wondering if someone has experience about this?

Thank you
The furnace is universal it comes set up for up flow. If he didn't change the drain line configuration on the furnace it will not drain properly also there is a trap that should be installed factory supplied if not the furnace won't drain properly. Sound like he should read the insulation instructions

Advertisement

Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote