Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Payne inducer motor clatter

Hi. Has anyone had the clattering noise from an inducer motor on a Payne PG9MAB. It does it a little on spinup but a lot more when going off. I first suspected a bushing (or bearing?) problem but then noticed that a small plastic tab behind the motor, and most likely a part of the inducer housing, comes up through a space with small stubs at each side. This "tab" snaps rapidly back and forth against those stubs and makes the clattering noise. If I hold the tab to the left as the motor spins up everything is normal. The furnace is about 3 years old and otherwise runs just fine. No LED messages, intake and exhaust are clear and furnace would cycle normally except for the clattering of that tab that makes you think the furnace motor is about to self destruct.

randy47
Attached Thumbnails
Payne inducer motor clatter-tab-bangs-back-forth.jpg  

randy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Well, it's been six months since I posted this question here. Nobody knows the answer. I talked with several "pros" and even Payne and Carrier... same thing. Nobody knows. So last night I brought out the trouble light and some tools and took apart the inducer. Disregarding all the spooking about how the inducer housing/motor cannot be fixed but needs a $700+ house call, I found a way to deal with the problem, put it back together and furnace works just fine. It cost me about $5 for a tube of silicon caulk and 90 minutes of my time.

The Following User Says Thank You to randy47 For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Im not sure what they call that , but I believe it suppose to seal the motor shaft at the housing.I know the noise your talking about and what Ive done before is squirt alittle white lithium grease at it and noise is gone.Guessing you put alittle silicone on it the keep it from bouncing around.
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

No. I had been putting a little bit of silicon on the motor shaft with a q-tip (hard to reach) for about 3 weeks. Then the left post on the slot broke off during the night and that made it a different ball game. Now the "tab" had swung all the way clockwise to rest against the outside of the right post. I was concerned that if the right post broke then the tab would be rotating with the shaft. Still not knowing the function of this thing I decided grow a pair and get out the tools. I was prepared to pull the whole unit before I decided to see how easy the outside section would come off. Not really a big deal. A few electrical connections, hoses and a small amount of factory silicon caulk in the seam. Once it was apart I finally saw what the dang thing was for. Just a seal for the motor shaft. The tab has to be there to keep the seal from rotating. The seal/tab has to "float" in the bigger hole in the housing because of the slight movement of the motor on the mounts. Because of the potential for movement simply "gluing" the seal in place isn't an option. I just used some stainless aviation safety wire to wrap around the tab and run the ends through a drilled hole on each side on the case molding. Bent the wire over at the ends. Still allows movement of the seal but (for now) prevents the seal/tab from rotating. The hardest part was getting the silicon caulk fully into the "trench" of the outer case without making a big mess! So far... works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Payne inducer motor clatter-11.jpg   Payne inducer motor clatter-22.jpg   Payne inducer motor clatter-33.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Now that you know how to break it down, you will be able to replace inducer wheel in the future.If you start getting a bad vibration from inducer assy, it is usually the wheel starting to develop cracks where the wheel is molded to the metal hub.One good thing about the carrier products is you can buy each part seperately so your not stuck buying the whole assy.Cant cut the tip of caulk tube more than a 1/4 inch.
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote