Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #1

Share |

payne heat exchanger

the secondary heat exchanger is rusted threw on my payne fur. Where can I order new one on line

drisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

payne heat exchanger

Google search carrier dealer . Maybe you can get them to sell to you

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
HVAC Tech

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisco
the secondary heat exchanger is rusted threw on my payne fur. Where can I order new one on line
Certain vintages are notorious for this issue, may be better off with replacement depending on the age of the unit. If a motor or board burns next you'll have a lot of money in an old unit.
Ducthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

payne heat exchanger

Heat exchangers come from the mfr. or a distributor. Neither sell directly to a home owner so it will need to be ordered though a local HVAC shop.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

payne heat exchanger

there is a class action suit and the secondary should be replaced parts and labor for no charge through a payne/carrier/bryant dealer. Doubtful this is something you want to tackle on your own. They are a pain to replace.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
there is a class action suit and the secondary should be replaced parts and labor for no charge through a payne/carrier/bryant dealer. Doubtful this is something you want to tackle on your own. They are a pain to replace.
I'm doubtful that they'll be able to find a company to change the secondary HE on just what the warranty pays. There are other parts that will most likely need to be replaced that aren't included under the warranty and the labour charge isn't enough to cover the actual work involved in most cases. As for the OP doing his own work, this isn't a job appropriate for DIY. It's not as simple as removing the old HE and installing the new one, there are also corrective factors that must be done. I've replaced dozens of secondary HE's in Carrier furnaces, and there were always more problems than just a defective HE. Also, the OP isn't qualified to re-commission a gas appliance, unless he's a ticketed gas fitter.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
HVAC Supermodel

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
I'm doubtful that they'll be able to find a company to change the secondary HE on just what the warranty pays. There are other parts that will most likely need to be replaced that aren't included under the warranty and the labour charge isn't enough to cover the actual work involved in most cases. As for the OP doing his own work, this isn't a job appropriate for DIY. It's not as simple as removing the old HE and installing the new one, there are also corrective factors that must be done. I've replaced dozens of secondary HE's in Carrier furnaces, and there were always more problems than just a defective HE. Also, the OP isn't qualified to re-commission a gas appliance, unless he's a ticketed gas fitter.
What other problems have you encountered? The reason I ask is because I just replaced a secondary on a bryant and I'm curious. This particular model had a warranty on the part and also a labor credit due to some sort of recall. All in all the customer had to pay about $500 out of pocket which was much less than a new furnace. It was a win-win
Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #8

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicursalhex View Post
What other problems have you encountered? The reason I ask is because I just replaced a secondary on a bryant and I'm curious. This particular model had a warranty on the part and also a labor credit due to some sort of recall. All in all the customer had to pay about $500 out of pocket which was much less than a new furnace. It was a win-win
The problems that I've encountered that led to the demise of a Carrier secondary heat exchanger are:
-the most common: unit over-fired (by as much as 30% in one case)
-unit under-fired
-unit not sloped properly
-unit not maintained properly (drain trap not cleaned)
- incorrect venting (a particularly notable example was both intake and exhaust terminated in side-by-side 90s below a soffit, and both were cellular core abs )

I believe Carrier wised up to these additional factors as they started requiring the tech to sign off for each repair in order for the warranty to be valid. In my opinion, the lack of proper commissioning was the true problem. There are many of these furnaces out there that are subject to the warranty, but don't fail because they were installed correctly (ie they were properly commissioned)

So, out of curiosity, when you re-commissioned the appliance, what factors did you find incorrect: gas pressure; input; furnace slope; venting; other?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
HVAC Supermodel

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac benny View Post
The problems that I've encountered that led to the demise of a Carrier secondary heat exchanger are:
-the most common: unit over-fired (by as much as 30% in one case)
-unit under-fired
-unit not sloped properly
-unit not maintained properly (drain trap not cleaned)
- incorrect venting (a particularly notable example was both intake and exhaust terminated in side-by-side 90s below a soffit, and both were cellular core abs )

I believe Carrier wised up to these additional factors as they started requiring the tech to sign off for each repair in order for the warranty to be valid. In my opinion, the lack of proper commissioning was the true problem. There are many of these furnaces out there that are subject to the warranty, but don't fail because they were installed correctly (ie they were properly commissioned)

So, out of curiosity, when you re-commissioned the appliance, what factors did you find incorrect: gas pressure; input; furnace slope; venting; other?
Nice. This particular unit was firing at 3.5 in 2nd stage (W2 was not hooked up hahaha), was sloped properly and the vent run was short and proper. The return however, was undersized and running at high static... The leak seemed to be coming from a little spot in the rtv right in the front. I noticed the secondary had a ton of rtv compared to the old one... There's a reason they give labor credits, the design had to be sh!tty in some way.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

payne heat exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicursalhex View Post
Nice. This particular unit was firing at 3.5 in 2nd stage (W2 was not hooked up hahaha), was sloped properly and the vent run was short and proper. The return however, was undersized and running at high static... The leak seemed to be coming from a little spot in the rtv right in the front. I noticed the secondary had a ton of rtv compared to the old one... There's a reason they give labor credits, the design had to be sh!tty in some way.
3.5 in second stage? That's a darn low firing rate . I know you mean 3.5"WC, which is the gas pressure, not the input. Just because the gas pressure is at the ideal pressure, doesn't mean that the unit is firing correctly. You needed to clock the meter to determine if it is operating within design specs (can't be over-fired, but can be under-fired by up to 10%). I've come across several furnaces with the gas pressure set right at 3.5"WC but were still over/under-fired.

Do bryant furnaces need W2 hooked up? How else would it go into second stage (high heat) without it? Carrier 2&3 stage furnaces come pre-set from the factory to work with a single stage t-stat; the sequence is timed, and can be changed through the dip switches.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Living Life

payne heat exchanger

what style do you need - can probably find a used one for cheap: heat exhangers
DavidRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #12

payne heat exchanger

Are you looking for something like this?
genie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #13

payne heat exchanger

My heat exchanger went out last month. It is a 2003 Payne 90% model. Am I covered under the recall/class action suit?
Renfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

payne heat exchanger

probably depends on the actual install date of the furnace if you have the bill of sale and can prove it. usually the manufacturers go by that or if you have no bill them they go 6 months past the manufactured date which is in the serial #. at least Lennox does. check with a Carrier dealer 2 B sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

payne heat exchanger

Its covered.

http://www.omaha-home-inspection.com...y-furnaces.pdf