DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Payne Heat Exchange replacement (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/payne-heat-exchange-replacement-123111/)

DNADave 11-11-2011 02:15 PM

Payne Heat Exchange replacement
 
I found the part to replace in my unit. Are there manuals that can help me with the installation of a heat exchange in a Payne unit?

Technow 11-11-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNADave (Post 768667)
I found the part to replace in my unit. Are there manuals that can help me with the installation of a heat exchange in a Payne unit?

Finding the part is one thing...

The main thing is determining why it failed in the first place. too big, bad duct, wrong blower speed, wrong gas pressure, etc.

Most new parts come with an installation manual, what kind of HX is it?

DNADave 11-11-2011 02:46 PM

Hx
 
The unit is a Payne model 120 1148 and the gas company Red-Tagged it because the Heat Exchanger is cracked. It appears that someone has attempted to repair it in the past as it "LOOKS LIKE" some spots were welded. It is obviously cracked open on one side with about a 2" gap in the line.

Other than the time to break the unit down (open it up) to get to the Heat Exchanger it appears to be a fairly simple replacement. Is this true or am I just dreaming. I did not see any place that would need to be welded or soldered in. Just the connections to replace the exchanger.

beenthere 11-11-2011 03:09 PM

The replacement is easy. But before doing so. Find out what caused the failure. most commonly under sized duct work.

DNADave 11-11-2011 03:28 PM

Could age be a factor? The unit appears to be at least 30 years old and based on the age of the home may be older. The duct work is in very good shape in the crawls space and the unit itself looks to be in very good condition.
In the alternative should I have some test run on the gas pressure and or other test conducted?

beenthere 11-11-2011 03:38 PM

If its 30 years old, i wouldn't replace just the heat exchanger. Time for a whole new furnace.

yuri 11-11-2011 03:50 PM

Are you sure you are getting a new heat exchanger. Most brands delete them after 20 yrs as there is not enough demand for old parts. At least that has been my experience. If buying it over the net you may be getting a used/pressure washed unit made to look new. Clean it up and spray it with oil and sell it as new is entirely possible. Buyer beware.:whistling2:

beenthere 11-11-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuri (Post 768768)
Are you sure you are getting a new heat exchanger. Most brands delete them after 20 yrs as there is not enough demand for old parts. At least that has been my experience. If buying it over the net you may be getting a used/pressure washed unit made to look new. Clean it up and spray it with oil and sell it as new is entirely possible. Buyer beware.:whistling2:

Or sell the wrong one, and then won't take it back.

how 11-11-2011 04:03 PM

Finding the right 30 year old exchanger is a bit of a suprise but I was more intriqued by the comment of evidence of a repair job on your old exchanger.
Anybody here ever successfuly repair an exchanger before?

carmon 11-11-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by how (Post 768782)
Finding the right 30 year old exchanger is a bit of a suprise but I was more intriqued by the comment of evidence of a repair job on your old exchanger.
Anybody here ever successfuly repair an exchanger before?

you are not allowed to repair a heat exchanger in manitoba ,should you decide to and get caught get ready for the department of labor visit:laughing:

yuri 11-11-2011 05:34 PM

Can you saw LAWSUIT, lawyer fees if it fails and you were the repairer.:help:

The authorities don't tolerate any code infractions or shoddy work here for long.

There is a article in the Free Press today about a bogus furnace repair guy the police arrested. Ripped off 6 people including a 79 yr old lady. Put a used or wrong gas valve in and almost CO poisoned one of them. Cops arrested him at his "last" job. Yay.:thumbsup:

how 11-11-2011 07:17 PM

I asked about the exchanger because for the last 30 years I was under the impression that it was not possible to reliably repair a cracked exchanger. Hearing evidence of someone's attempt to do so, was a first for me.. The F wits that I mostly run into in my area are not so much incompetant as ethically challenged.

carmon 11-11-2011 08:37 PM

dont repair it .....not worth it

DNADave 11-12-2011 11:24 AM

Thanks for all your input and advice. I talked with Payne (the manufacturer) yesterday and they tell me with the serial # they can date the unit and tell me exactly how old it is. Then I can decide which route is best, repair or replace and get someone to do the work.

hvac benny 11-12-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by how (Post 768957)
The F wits that I mostly run into in my area are not so much incompetant as ethically challenged.

I'd say that, in the greater Vancouver area, it's probably an even 50-50 split.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved