Payne Furnace Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Payne furnace problem

Hi all. I recently inherited a house and storms last week flooded the basement with 8" of groundwater. Augered out the drain & water receeded but now having problems with the furnace. It's a Payne 80 Plus, the inside label says the model is a 395CAV024070. I can find nothing on it. Online schematics show a resemblance to Bryant PG8 furnace. My question is this: When I try to start the furnace the blower starts in short bursts, a clicking noise (sounds like a relay) is coming from what I believe is the control board and a red LED is blinking on & off on the side of the control board. (it does not get to the part of the startup cycle where the draft inducer turns on or the gas flows, just the main blower trying to start) Presumably the lower 8" of the furnace was immersed in the groundwater overnight. Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated. Replacing the furnace is not a viable option as funds are limited. Lookingh at possible layoff. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Laughingchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

Payne furnace problem

Test to make sure tstat is closed and calling for heat, check all wiring loose connections test limits and sensors (aux limits) if all is good then i would say bad circuit board. I would test all first to be sure unless you like to spend money on a guess

Advertisement

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

Payne furnace problem

Thanks, I am bright enough to have the thermostat calling for heat (but I guess you couldn't know that LoL) the board has a blinking LED. Is there a way to pull codes from it (like a car) or is special equipment needed to read it? What confuses me is the blower tryoing to start out-of sequence. Seems like the draft inducer should start and the fire light before the blower comes on?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Payne furnace problem

If you have the thermostat turned to heat, and set high enough to call for heat when you turn the power on to the furnace.
That furnace is suppose to run the blower for 90 seconds before it will go back to normal operation.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Payne furnace problem

The LED ( blink )codes should be on the blower door of the furnace
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Payne furnace problem

Control board is the most likly problem. A 65 to 75 dollor service call to know for sure. Where I live you cant buy a control board with out a liense. Good luck
texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #7

Payne furnace problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
The LED ( blink )codes should be on the blower door of the furnace
I wish they were. Nothing pertaining to the codes on upper or lower doors. Any thoughts on where I could download them? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas115115
Control board is the most likly problem. A 65 to 75 dollor service call to know for sure. Where I live you cant buy a control board with out a liense. Good luck
If I can't get a copy of the "blink codes" (if the control board is blinking codes at me and not just a malfunction) I'd rather put the money into the board rather than a service call (I'm also rather stubborn and am used to fixing things myself, perhaps a serious flaw in my nature ). Looks like the control board might just be available online for $100- $250 depending if I can get a match for the part number. Sadly, I am slowly coming to the same conclusion that the control board may be shot. Maybe I'll tear the board apart and see if there is a fried connection somewhere, I read that is a common occurance with this furnace. This is new ground for me, kinda wish the house would go away- with all it's headaches LoL. Why can't they just build good reliable furnaces anymore, all this high efficiency garbage ups the repair costs and lessens the reliability IMHO. The furnace in my house (not the inherited one) is literally 100 years old this year. It's a coal conversion with a natural gas burner installed in the ash door. Probably not very efficient, but it just keeps on doing what it is supposed to do year after year and thats what really counts. Thanks Guys.

Last edited by Laughingchi; 05-03-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Payne furnace problem

And cost you 3 to 4 times as much to heat with. As a new furnace would.

Some of those old conversions. If they had an AFUE rating. Would be about a 30.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #9

Payne furnace problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
And cost you 3 to 4 times as much to heat with. As a new furnace would.

Some of those old conversions. If they had an AFUE rating. Would be about a 30.

Matter of personal preference I'm sure. Myself, I'd rather spend the money on insulation and keep the old furnace (and its reliability).
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Payne furnace problem

Tightening up a home, and adding insulation will and does save money.

But, the furnace still uses 3 to 4 times as much fuel as it needs to.
Thats not a personal opinion. Thats a reality.

Lots of plain Jane 80% furnaces out, that are just as reliable as that old clonker.

I converted alot of coal furnaces and boilers over to gas or oil.
A good number of them are still running with their original conversion burner.

Have gone back to some of them. And installed a new furnace or boiler.
And the heating bills always drop at least 60%.

Have never had anyone complain about saving $4,000 to $8,000 bucks in 10 years or less.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 812

Payne furnace problem

We have some bl**dy old 40+ yr old Furnasman units where I live an honestly you think someone in the family died when they have to replace one. People get "sentimental" over their furnaces and we need to respect that. LOL
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Payne furnace problem

Lol...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #13

Payne furnace problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
We have some bl**dy old 40+ yr old Furnasman units where I live an honestly you think someone in the family died when they have to replace one. People get "sentimental" over their furnaces and we need to respect that. LOL
Not too sentimental here (well maybe just a bit), just practical. A high performance furnace made to todays standards takes maintenance of all the expensive dodads to keep it working. The Payne can't even pull a decent draft on its own (needs an inducer motor) and the hot surface ignitor was a pain to locate and replace last winter. All I'm sayin is that I don't like cold feet (or anything else cold) and my old pilot light coal conversion just keeps crankin away without giving me any trouble. All it asks of me is to fill the oil cups once in awhile. Now if the Payne had a pilot light there would likely be alot less corrosion in the furnace as it helps keep it warm and dry. Probably can't even get a furnace these days with a pilot light anymore. I'd trade the Payne in a New York Minute for another coal conversion like I have in my basement. Course it's the size of a small car and I don't know how in the world I'd get it down there if I did!

Good news guys, I just found an online diagnostic chart for the codes the control board is blinking at me. After I head over tonight and check the codes out maybe I'll know what the furnace is trying to tell me is wrong.

Last edited by Laughingchi; 05-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Payne furnace problem

Actually. Either ICP and or UTC did have a 78% with a pilot and draft inducer.
The pilots sometimes caused the heat exchanger to rust out.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 812

Payne furnace problem

I like the feel but not the cost of the old oil/coal "RADIANT" heat forced air furnaces. Radiated so much heat that you never felt the cold, plus it never shut off.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote