Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Share |

Payne air handeler stoped working

Payne PF1M air handeler stopped working. no blower operation from thermostat, so I direct wired blower and it works great starts right up. Replaced the control board and the thermostat but blower still not turning on. Was using fan to circulate air in room and have used the heater in unit last winter no problems. AC part of system has never been hooked up. Using the system for heat and air circulation only. Last time fan worked unit was left on with the fan running over night. Could ther be something I am over looking? This unit is two years old it came with the house I bought it had never been completly connected eletricaly or with charge to compressor or wiring to compressor. I only need it for the winter to heat and the summer for the fan.
Anyone have an idea of witch part to check next?
Spoke
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

I'll tell you but only after you tell me why you used the world "witch" in place of the proper "which." Halloween funny funny ha ha or just not bright?

Have you checked the blower motor fan run capacitor? I'd do that if you have proper low control voltage.

A the furnace itself, without any hard wiring but stat wires and blower wires all hooked through the board you can check to see if it comes on by jumpiong the r to the w terminal. That is your call for heat. be careful, 24 volts hurts too. Use a small piece of insulated wire.

you can also jum r to the g terminal for fan on only operation, no heat. if your blower works when jumping at the furnace then you should check all wiring to and from the stat.
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #3

Hi Fan is usually for the cooling and L o Fan to Lo Med for the heating did you check all the speeds with the hot wire to the fan motor as said if you do just fan for air its R to G but the heating fan goes thru the control board on a time delay or disc sensor to have fan run called in the R to W from the stat
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Well I tried jumping the R to G and R to W nothing happend.
Then I took my jack o'lantern voltage tester and found power at the fan blower capacitor, how much I dont know seemed good. That jac o'lantern does not tell me how much voltage just that it is there.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Hi Fan is usually for the cooling and L o Fan to Lo Med for the heating did you check all the speeds with the hot wire to the fan motor as said if you do just fan for air its R to G but the heating fan goes thru the control board on a time delay or disc sensor to have fan run called in the R to W from the stat
Blower runs at both medium and high speeds no problem when jumped to the 110v x 2 source.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I dont think I have power comming out of the transformer I have to get a better voltage tester.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
I dont think I have power comming out of the transformer I have to get a better voltage tester.
Nope no output from transformer
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

You found the problem.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJboy For This Useful Post:
Spoke (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

He found the symptom, the problem is why the tyranny went out.
To be continued...
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
He found the symptom, the problem is why the tyranny went out.
To be continued...
There was an over size fuse in the control board. New board has 5amp fuse but don't really know why transformer stopped sending power. What would cause the failure? Pinched wire bad stat power surge?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #11

Most often a short in the thermostat wiring causes the failure of the transformer.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote