Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Outside unit not working

The power is going to the contactor coil and the contacts are good, but the fan motor is not on. I am guessing it's the cap, and it is a little buldged like the picture from another post. The outside of the cooling fins was lint coated on the house side of the unit and clean on the other. Can I hose it off or shall i remove the grating and brush it first. So, clean it and replace the capacitor? Any other advice?

Last edited by erniemit; 06-27-2009 at 03:43 PM.
erniemit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #2

Outside unit not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniemit View Post
The power is going to the contactor coil and the contacts are good, but the fan motor is not on. I am guessing it's the cap, but it is not buldged like the picture from another post. The outside of the cooling fins was lint coated on the house side of the unit and clean on the other. Can I hose it off or shall i remove the grating and brush it first. So, clean it and replace the capacitor? Any other advice?
hose it for sure, dont brush it, the water will work fine. There is a way to test the capacitor to make sure its getting the proper voltages, but I'm not certain how as I didn't need to and I wouldn't attempt it without receiving the proper instruction. There are plenty of folks on here who will help, trust me, just give them time.

shuship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Outside unit not working

take the top off & hose it ( gently) from the inside out.. If you hose it from the outside in . You will only push the stuff deeper into the coils

Last edited by kenmac; 06-27-2009 at 08:49 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Outside unit not working

makes perfect sense, I was afraid of that and paused to pick up the hose...good advice...thanks.
erniemit is offline   Reply With Quote