Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

Outside unit frozen

My outside unit has frozen up. Is this a sign of low refrigerant or defrost mode not working? It has rained here nontstop for 5 days. Outside temp is around 45 degrees.

Chris
poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

Outside unit frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolecw View Post
My outside unit has frozen up. Is this a sign of low refrigerant or defrost mode not working? It has rained here nontstop for 5 days. Outside temp is around 45 degrees.

It could be either, however from looking at it the freeze pattern seems a little wierd which could be because of low freon. Because when freon is low you get a lower temp where the freon first enters the coil. So what can happen is it freezes just at the inlet of the coil. It looks like most of your coil is extremely clear, units not going into defrost tend to freeze more evenly.

However some units use what is called a "demand defrost" and they can leave ice rings like that, but yours seems too thick for that to be the case, but it's still possible.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Outside unit frozen

Looks like a restriction in the distributor tubes feeding those rows.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Outside unit frozen

I was able to get a better look at it during lunch today. It begins freezing up as the line comes into the unit. I think the reversing valve may be stuck but I really don't know. I've got someone coming out tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks for the input.

Chris
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Outside unit frozen

Ok, I had my HVAC tech come out. The problem was the defrost thermostat switch wasn't working. He got the freon down to -10 degrees and it wouldn't ever swith on. He forced it into defrost mode and verified that defrost mode would work.

Chris