Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

outside condesor keeps shutting off

the fan would run for about an hour then would stop it did this for about 4 days and now it wont turn on out there and wont come back on at all. we have somebody comeing out this week i just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas we thought it may have been the fan motor but were thinking its the reset switch at the bottom of the lennox.. anyway thanks for reading

dartvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

that is most likely a high pressure reset for the compressor...is the motor body hot to the touch on the motor body...if not could be just the capacitor easy change out Grainger supply...??? is the compressor running without the condenser fan?

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

i really do have a feeling it might be the cap i think well tommrow i will know for sure because theres a guy comeing out too take a look but when it was working everytime wed get it too work wed wait awhile then use the reset switch to get it working agian and now it just wont do it anymore
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

i was wondering if we replace the high pressure switch would you lose freon
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

Did you ever determine if your fan run capacitor was the problem? If the fan is not working properly to move air the head pressure will rise and trip the high pressure switch. Lack of air flow due to a dirty condenser coil can make the high pressure switch trip also. Of course, too much refrigerant can make the high-limit trip also. It could also be the fan motor going bad. If you haven't done so I would wash the condenser coil to see if that helps.
firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

well we know for sure that the pressure reset switch is broke for sure though would we lose freon if we took it out?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

heres a picture of the cap me and my dad went outside earlyer. we could hear it clicking grinding and it was also slowing down while it was slowing down we just kinda hit the top of the ring and it started going agian.. so we think it probobly is the motor and i also took a picture of the cap too me it kind of looks a bit buldge but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
outside condesor keeps shutting off-condensor-upstairs-cap.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

in the off position free spin the condenser blade CW CCW if you here grinding(like brakes) at all the bearings are rusted and tight especially if it stops as if breaking short....so go for a new cap and motor all at Grainger.trick spray some WD-40 on the blade nut holding screw need to save the blade.....might see a change in that spin test if the spray goes down the shaft into that tight bearing..eye ball that contactor if arcked/black carboned up might change that also...230V/24V coil/30A.that HP is on the Freon side with a change out its on the 24V control side that knocks out the contactor...that is why the compressor and fan go off both come off the one contactor...sounds like the motor get back...and get a new EXACT capacitor change out...if the HP is knocking the condenser down grab the this raw copper line out of the condenser when it starts if it hot to the touch the condenser is dirty...

Last edited by biggles; 09-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
dartvader (09-11-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Well looks like we got it going thanks for all the help guys we replaced the motor and added a cap too it and its working great! we started up the old motor one more time and it went out then just added the new stuff in and now its working great! whew alot cooler thanks everybody! btw we live near salt water any tips because i know its hard on the outside acs
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvader View Post
Well looks like we got it going thanks for all the help guys we replaced the motor and added a cap too it and its working great! we started up the old motor one more time and it went out then just added the new stuff in and now its working great! whew alot cooler thanks everybody! btw we live near salt water any tips because i know its hard on the outside acs

Spray it down with a water hose , ever so often ?

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote