DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outside Condenser Unit Off

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jp16v 
#1 ·
Last weekend, I replaced the condenser motor in my Air Ease heat pump (circa 2004) outdoor unit. The system ran beautifully all week until last night.

Now, neither the fan, nor the compressor will kick on. The indoor air handler comes on fine.

Things I've done/checked:
Reset breakers (both for the heat pump and the air handler)
Looked for a reset switch
Verified 220V at outdoor cut off box and at contactor input.
Verified 24V signal at control board from thermostat.
It appears as though no signal is being sent from the control board to the contactor.

Is there something I'm missing?

BTW, I was promised a service call today from my friendly local HVAC contractor, but none has showed. It's going to be a long hot weekend.

Thanks for any info!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Airease heatpumps have a control board in the condenser. Verify you have 24 volts on the low voltage teminals on either side of the contactor. If no verify 24 volts at the the Y terminal of the control board. If no verify 24 volts from the air handler. If you have 24 volts at the contactor you have an open winding in the contactor coil. If you have 24 volts on Y and not the contactor you have a bad control board. To get you through the weekend you can take the yellow wire entering the condenser straight to the hot side of the contactor. The side where only one wire is on. Left side should be 1 wire and the right 2 wires. Let me stress I'm talking only about low voltage here. 24 volts AC

#3 ·
Thanks Ridgeville. HVAC guy showed up, it seems that I got an open in one of my lines and leaked all my freon. If I had a manifold I suppose I could have checked it. The system was protecting itself and not sending the voltage to the contactor I suppose.

Oh well, gotta pay the man sometimes. Thanks for the info about the Air Ease board. That may come in handy in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.