Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Fixer upper guy

Share |

Outside air / free air conditioning

Ok so bear with me here. I live in Sacramento California, so I have low humidity, and very large temperature swings from day to night (often 30+ degrees).

What I am looking to do is make an add-on to my existing HVAC system that is installed in my home. I would like to add an outside air intake and a damper system that stops recirculating air from inside the house, and instead draws ouside air through a filter. I would like to integrate this into my thermostat (surely I would have to buy a new one) so that this switch only happens when the outside air is colder than the inside air. Additionally if the outside air is cold enough, say 65 degrees or cooler, I would like to shut off the compressor so that my house basically ventilated with cool outside air and cooled off that way.

I think that this could be very beneficial in my climate because often times it can be 80+ degrees when I go to bed so it is too warm to just open up the windows and go to sleep. However overnight the air is significantly cools off to where it might be 60 degrees early in the morning.

I am not sure if all of this or just part of this can be achieved, but I have heard of this kind of system being installed in some energy efficient homes. I have not been able to find any information on it though. Any help or a push in the right direction would be appreciated. Any websites or recommended reading material for this type of thing would be greatly appreciated.

teg916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Check into economizers. They do what you want. You would want one with a dual enthapy sensor(can be done with single though). The thermostat wires through the economizer control. And it determines weather to use the compressor, or outside air.
However. You will need a barometric relief system/damper. What it does. Is it opens when the economizer is open and allowing the blower to bring in outside air.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Fixer upper guy

Excellent, that is exactly what I was looking for. I knew that the information had to be out there. I just needed the right terminology.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #4

Economizer have been around for years, but not for residential. You would have to make a sizeable opening in your wall to allow enough CFM of cool OD air.

The comp is wired in so that when the OD air becomes cold enough the comp will stop and just let the blower suck in the OD air.

This is not a problem on commerical equipment as the the duct opening are much larger than residential.

I would certainly do the math to find out the size opening you are goin to need.
4" or 6" won't cut it.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Fixer upper guy

I was planning on matching the size of the opening that is inside of the house for the inlet to the furnace/evaporator. I haven't measured it yet but it is probably about 14".