Outdoor Underground Natural Gas Line - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Outdoor Underground Natural Gas Line

I am having a Natural Gas line run up to my house, however they cannot put the meter up by the house on the correct side of the house because they tell me it has to be a straight line from the alley to where they place the meter.

They have to run the line and place the meter on one side of my deck, and my plumber has to trench a gas line from the meter about 30 feet to the foundation of the house, then bring the gas line up out of the ground and through the block wall foundation.

They told me they use copper pipe buried in the ground to the house, then a flexible stainless steel line to the furnace.

Everywhere I have read online says to never use copper for natural gas, but they tell me it is perfectly fine to use.

Is it safe to run a copper line from the meter to the entrance of the house? I am in Minnesota by the way.

Advertisement

Vikeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

anyone?

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Its fine but make sure the riser coming out of the ground is protected and the piping is buried to the correct depth as required by code. Also, make sure the stainless yellow pipe is properly grounded by an electrician.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Around here they use yellow plastic tubing underground. I thought that was normal ??
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Like Patrick said, copper is fine. But, why aren't they using plastic PE piping? It's cheaper to use.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

The plastic PE is a far suuperior product for underground applications but as I am understanding this, the install company may not have the equipment to run PE.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks View Post
The plastic PE is a far suuperior product for underground applications but as I am understanding this, the install company may not have the equipment to run PE.
There is no special equipment needed to run PE, unless you're fusing, but that's not necessary in a residential setting. All you would need is PE cutters, a chamfering tool (although some people use an exacto knife) and maybe a marker to mark the stab depth of the perfection couplings. Oh, yeah, and a shovel .

Almost forgot, wire cutters for the tracer wire

Last edited by hvac benny; 10-24-2011 at 09:27 PM.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,604

yes plastic pipe is the norm.. and the best installation as to code.... oh and hvac benny named all the special tools needed.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

Yeah this sucks. I was hoping the gas company could angle the gas line from the main to my meter, but it must go straight they tell me...something about regulations...

Is there a way to run a pipe above ground and then go through the cement block wall into the basement?

If this doesn't work I will have to go with an electric forced air furnace, which will be costly to run, but I don't have any other choice.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 256

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab....asp?DocNum=54

Read this, but you will need to know what edition of NFPA 54 your jurisdiction uses.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

I live in a small town and the plumbing company doing the work has been in business for over 30 years. They should know the current codes shouldn't they?

They said they would bury a K copper pipe from the meter to the foundation of the house, then they would come up out of the ground, and use a flare fitting to enter the house, then inside the house they would connect CSST and run that the rest of the way to furnace.

I have read that CSST needs to be bonded, would black pipe need to be? Also what about just running the copper the rest of the way once inside the house, or is that not legal?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 604

Flex copper tubing (comes in rolls like HVAC tubing) is the norm indoors here in our part of MD but I bet it depends on your local codes. Here the flex copper takes the 2 psi feed from the meter into the regulator on manifold in the util room in the house. The manifold has individual copper feeds for each load. (stove, furnace, water heater, fireplace, etc). These are all painted yellow and labeled "natural gas" I guess to distinguish from water pipe, but the water pipes are all straight copper tube whereas the gas is the somewhat flexible type that comes in rolls. This is a lot easier to deal with than iron pipe.... but you need to ask about your local codes.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikeologist View Post
I live in a small town and the plumbing company doing the work has been in business for over 30 years. They should know the current codes shouldn't they?

They said they would bury a K copper pipe from the meter to the foundation of the house, then they would come up out of the ground, and use a flare fitting to enter the house, then inside the house they would connect CSST and run that the rest of the way to furnace.

I have read that CSST needs to be bonded, would black pipe need to be? Also what about just running the copper the rest of the way once inside the house, or is that not legal?
Time in business has no bearing on knowledge or quality of work.

CSST is normally bonded, but the people to ask are the inspection people. The preceding comment also applies to building officials.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #14

what could i run above ground along my deck and maybe up along under my siding, then into the house?

Advertisement