Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Share |

Outdoor fan not working

My central air conditioning is not cooling the house. The indoor fan seems to be working fine. The outdoor fan is not running. I saw some videos on replacing the capacitor. But my capacitor does not look bulged up like those blown capacitors. It looks like new. Could it still be the capacitor? Is there any other simple things to check for regarding the outdoor fan? Should I leave the A/C running or keep it off until the outdoor fan is fixed?

greenjelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Outdoor fan not working

try to spin the fan with a stick or something, does it spin freely? are you sure it is just the fan or both the fan and compressor that aren't running? of course, first thing to check is the breaker. if the breaker tripped then that will tell you something right there.

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Outdoor fan not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
try to spin the fan with a stick or something, does it spin freely? are you sure it is just the fan or both the fan and compressor that aren't running? of course, first thing to check is the breaker. if the breaker tripped then that will tell you something right there.
Thanks for your response. When I try to spin the fan with a stick, it doesn't spin freely. It is kinda damped and stops within in 2-3 rotations. What does that mean? How can I check if the compressor is running? I have a LUX TX9000TS thermostat, and it indicates the ac is cooling (flashing snowflake icon). The breakers in the garage panel are on. I tried turning the AC breaker off and on again, it didn't seem to make a difference. Is there anything else to check?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4

Outdoor fan not working

Is that with the power off to the fan? If so, you need a new fan motor. You MAY be able to lubricate it to get it running....just maybe.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Outdoor fan not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Is that with the power off to the fan? If so, you need a new fan motor. You MAY be able to lubricate it to get it running....just maybe.
It happens both with the power on and off. How difficult is it to replace the fan motor? How can I check if the compressor is working?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

Outdoor fan not working

You would hear the compressor running. If the fan motor is tight with no power to it, you need to change the motor. Not extremely difficult, but there are a few steps for dis-assembly which you must adhere to.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Outdoor fan not working

if you have a multimeter with capacitance (you can get one cheap at any hardware store), just disconnect all the terminals to the cap, test across HERM to C (should match higher number on cap), then test across FAN to C (should match lower number on cap, probably 5 or 7.5). caps are rated in MFD, which will probably show on the multimeter as uF, which is the same thing.

if that cap tests good, i would try flipping the fan over and spraying some silicone lube in there to see if that frees it up and allows the unit to run. if it does, then you might get away with that for awhile but that means you need a new fan motor.

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote