Outdoor Condenser Fan Stops After 10-15 Minutes - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor Condenser Fan Stops After 10-15 minutes

Bryant AC Model # 561CJX030-D

Problem: 1st startup of the summer - condenser fan stops after about 10 minutes; compressor was still running.

Condenser fan (GE) (rated at 1.00 amp) was running at 3.8 amps and about 1/2 rpms (rated at 1075 rpm) according to a check by a service tech. Replaced fan with AO Smith (same specs). This fan also stops running after 10-15 minutes. It seems like it may be running a bit slow, but not positive. The capacitor was tested at full specs at the electric motor supplier.

Other than the above noted, nothing has been changed in the unit. I would very much appreciate any advice as to what other things may cause both the old motor and the new motor to respond in a similar fashion.

Many thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by theglobal; 06-09-2010 at 01:27 AM.
theglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

Were the bearings tight on the old motor? Or did the shaft turn freely?

Is the new motor the same length as the old motor. If not, it may have the blade to low inside the unit, and short cycling the air.

Dirty condenser coil can cause the motor to over heat and lock out after 10 or so minutes. While the coil may look clean. It can be too dirty for the unit to work right.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply! I have been away for a few days.

Actually, the old motor turned quite freely...no problem. The new motor is the same length as the old and was installed in a similar manner. Because the new motor has the same problem (cutting out after 10-12 minutes) I am wondering if I should have purchased the new motor.

I cannot say whether the AC tech cleaned the condenser coils or not, as I was not at home when he "serviced" the unit. His invoice noted that he cleaned the contactor and coil, so I must assume he did. However...maybe I should clean them anyway. Do you have a recommendation on what works best for cleaning the condenser coils?

Assuming the coils are not an issue, and given that both motors are shutting down in a similar manner, are there any other possibilities that should be considered?

Again, thank you. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Simple green work good.

If you have an electrical meter. The next time it stops running . Check if the motor is getting voltage.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #5

I started the unit, and the Voltage reading was 244 volts...this was a reading for the motor and compressor. When the motor stopped, the compressor was still pulling 244 volts. I am sure the fan motor cut out because of its thermal protection feature, as it was good and hot after only 8-9 minutes when it cut out.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Sounds like the new fan is not an exact match to replace the old fan.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #7

I understand your point, but I don't think it applies in this case. Here is what I have on both the old and new motors.

Old motor:

GE 5KCP39DGS375S
1/6 HP
Voltage 208-230
FLA 1.0
HZ 60
Phase 1
RPM 1075
Length (less shaft) 5-1/8"
Body DIA. 5-5/8"
Capacitor 5MF/370V
Wiring: brn/whi, bla, brn, yel

New Motor:

AO Smith FSE1016SV1
1/6 HP
Voltage 208-230
FLA 1.3
HZ 60
Phase 1
RPM 1075
Length (less shaft) 5-1/8"
Body DIA. 5-5/8"
Capacitor 5MF/370V
Wiring: brn/whi, bla, brn, yel

As you will note, other than a slightly higher FLA in the AO Smith motor, they appear to have the same specs. Again, not to beat an old horse, but both the old and new motors cut out due to thermal protection shutoff. Changing to the new motor seems like it may have been a possible waste of money, insofar as it too, reacted the same as the old motor; namely a thermal protection shutoff after about 10 minutes of operation. So, does that lead us to another possibility? Any thoughts are most appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Was the condenser motor changed out last year, or the year before also? maybe before you moved in?

Any possibility that the fan blade was changed sometime last year?

Are you sure its spinning the right way?

Can you post a pic of the motor. So that it shows the position of the fan blade while the motor is installed.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #9

Any updates on this, I have the exact same problem. Techs have been at my house all freakin week and I still have no AC.

Day 1: Replaced fan motor due to old motor overheating and cutting off.

Day 2: Cleaned condenser and evap coils.

Day 3: replaced: start cap, run cap, potential relay.

Day 4: ripped out all the wires and started over.

Day 5: "We think you need a new fan motor"

The AC runs fine for 10 minutes then the fan cuts off because its too hot. If everything but the contactor and compressor have been replaced... what is next? The pressure on high and low side are within tolerance levels. This is a 3.5 ton lennox diplomat: 10ac42-3p
inetquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

Day 5, visit 2:

- went from 1/4 hp 875 rpm to 1/2 hp 1025 rpm
- removed potential relay
- removed run cap installed earlier in the week
- removed factor start cap
- installed a hard start kit (is there a relay inside?)

The sun is down now already, so it will be tomorrow before I know if this worked. A tech from a different company is scheduled to come out tomorrow as well. I waited way to long to call for backup...
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetquestion View Post
Day 5, visit 2:

- went from 1/4 hp 875 rpm to 1/2 hp 1025 rpm
- removed potential relay
- removed run cap installed earlier in the week
- removed factor start cap
- installed a hard start kit (is there a relay inside?)

The sun is down now already, so it will be tomorrow before I know if this worked. A tech from a different company is scheduled to come out tomorrow as well. I waited way to long to call for backup...
Look at the units name plate. It will say what the hp is supposed to be. cozyparts.com can probabaly tell you the rpm needed since the sell lennox parts.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

The 1/2HP 1075 won't last long either. What brand is your outdoor uinit. Is it a Goodman.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is there a "b" in that model number? I'm not familiar with a lennox 10ac but a 10acb-042-3p takes a 1/3rd hp 1075 rpm motor.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #14

Condenser is a lennox 10AC42-3P.

The factory service guide says it take a 1/6hp 875 rpm. However the panel on the condenser says it is a 1/4 hp.

What is in there right now is a 1/2hp 1025rpm. As of now it is still running and cooling, but I am holding my breath until the 90+ degree weather tomorrow kicks in.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #15

Smile

As you will note from the thread, I had an old motor that stopped after about 10 minutes. The unit ran fine at the end of last summer. I had it "serviced" by a fellow with "years" of experience. The tech said the condenser fan motor was drawing 3.8 amps...etc..and that the motor was going to go out. He would replace the motor for $317. The first time I ran the unit this summer, the motor stopped after about 10 minutes. So, new motor, but I did not like the price, buying the new motor for $125 from a local supplier. I changed out the old motor. The new motor was installed exactly like the old motor. Alas, the new motor craps out after about 10 minutes. "beenthere" gave me great advice and I checked things out. Ok, old motor - new motor, both same specs, both installed the same, and both behave the same...thermal shutoff after 10 mintues. It turns out that when the tech serviced my unit he wired the old motor wrong. There is a brown/white wire that he connected to the capacitor...WRONG, totally wrong, and I, bening the newbie, connected the new motor exactly as the old motor had been connected...ALSO WRONG. In fact, the brown/white wire was not supposed to be used at all. It all started when I didn't like the price for a simple condensor fan replacement.

As it turns out, I did not need the old motor replaced...most likely. Did the tech make a mistake when he "serviced" my AC, was he just stupid, or was he dishonest? I guess I will never know. I paid $68 more to have someone I found as a good reference through a friend to discover the problem. A special thanks to "beenthere". I appreciate your efforts to help me with this issue. Inetquestion, anything similar with your story? Good luck with an answer.

Advertisement

Last edited by theglobal; 06-21-2010 at 01:33 AM.