Our 'new' House Has Dual Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Our 'new' house has dual heat

My wife & I just bought our first home... It's odd but our house has two heating options. We have a newer gas forced air furnace and older electric baseboard heaters in each room with individual thermostats. Are there any incentives for keeping the electric heaters?

Advertisement

biostockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 154

What do you mean by incentives? You would probably get a better utility rate if you were all electric, but since you're not that's out of the question. Electric resistance heat is expensive to operate. Sometimes you can get away with it in a cold climate if you're on an upper level of a condo or something, but most of the time heating with natural gas is FAR cheaper.

The heat might be more comfortable but there's no financial benefit to having the baseboard heaters. Not in my opinion anyway.

Advertisement

strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery View Post
What do you mean by incentives? You would probably get a better utility rate if you were all electric, but since you're not that's out of the question. Electric resistance heat is expensive to operate. Sometimes you can get away with it in a cold climate if you're on an upper level of a condo or something, but most of the time heating with natural gas is FAR cheaper.

The heat might be more comfortable but there's no financial benefit to having the baseboard heaters. Not in my opinion anyway.
Thanks for the reply! I was just curious if there was any cost incentives at all, I guess with being able to localize the heat. We're in PA.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 154

I really doubt that there's any benefits other than comfort. I personally find baseboard heaters to be very comfortable, but it costs a lot to pay for electric resistance heat. If you were just running them once in a while to sort of supplement your furnace heat then it might be nice to keep.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I really doubt that there's any benefits other than comfort. I personally find baseboard heaters to be very comfortable, but it costs a lot to pay for electric resistance heat. If you were just running them once in a while to sort of supplement your furnace heat then it might be nice to keep.
Got it. Maybe we just have to play around with them to see if we can determine any benefits at all. Thanks again for your input!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Keep one or two. In case the gas furnace breaks down, you still have some heat in the house.
Only way the baseboard will be cheape to use then the gas furnae is if you only heat one or 2 small rooms. Or gas price really goes up high.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Keep one or two. In case the gas furnace breaks down, you still have some heat in the house.
Only way the baseboard will be cheape to use then the gas furnae is if you only heat one or 2 small rooms. Or gas price really goes up high.
Yeah unless you just can't stand the look of them I'd keep them just in case something happens with the furnace. Backup heat can be very nice to have when you need it.

Advertisement

JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote