Original Problem To Beckett Burner Question.. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Original problem to beckett burner question..

One long last question..
The problem I am having with my furnace is the primary control not working.. The power went out for three days and when the pwr came back on the oil furnace turned on for a few minutes and then back off.

I could smell and see a small amount of smoke from the primary control (honeywell ra116a). I tested the signal to the box and it was getting 26 volts, should it be 24v does the 2 volts matter. I replaced the transformer months earlier and 26 is what is put out.

I can disconnect the stat wires and manually switch the relay on and the furnace turns on and operates normally. I watch it for a half hour or so while it heats the house some then shut it off.

I get a new primary control thinking the old one was just bad. I install it and turn it on and the same thing happened. a few minutes running and some smoke and back off " I guess I just ruined another control "

What could be burning up the switch... Stat ?(heat pump works fine) bad ground ? but everything works when operating the relay by hand..

Lennox furnace w/ two year old Carrier heat pump.
Model # OH7Q-105C
Max Bonnet 84,000 btu/hr
Max firing rate 0.75 GpH
Oil Burner OHP30-8
Draft 0.03

I know alot to read but any help would be great...

Advertisement

jmhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

Is your heat pump connected to control the furnace blower through a fan relay center.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #3

Short answer...YES

Long answer... When the AC unit (mounted on the oil furnace) went bad 2 years ago we replaced it with a heat pump. Instead of electric backup we wanted to keep the oil. this was during the summer. winter came and no backup oil heat. the service guy came back said my primary control is bad. He wanted to charge me $280.00 for a new one, so told him I could get one online cheaper, $150.00 , he said that was fine just wire it the way it is now. So did it, and it didn't work. After some testing figuried out he had the wires crossed from the stat. Flipped the wires and it worked.. I only ran it a minute or so to test it.

As I said before the winter was very mild last year so I don't remember need it. so year goes by and as everyone knows the winter is hitting the south east hard (I live in NC). When I needed it this year, what I list earlier in this thread is where we are at.

When the heat pump was installed he wired into the same fan relay center that the ac and furnace was using before.. I asked him if it would work with the heat pump and the furnace working at the same time. he said yes, but beginning to think he was wrong.

Sorry for the long answer, but just want people reading this to have alll the facts. hoping it will help in fixing this.. I don;t want to have to buy a new unit if this can be fixed.. Thanks again..

Last edited by jmhai; 01-12-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

You need a dual fuel control. The heat pump and oil furnace can't run at the same time. With the exception of the heat pump going into defrost.

Sounds like the fan relay centers transformer and the stack controls transformer are bucking each other.
In other words. Miswired.
is a wire from the heat pump, connected to the W terminal on the fan relay center. And a wire from the stack control also on that W terminal.

What thermostat are you using. Is it a dual fuel thermostat.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You need a dual fuel control. The heat pump and oil furnace can't run at the same time. With the exception of the heat pump going into defrost.

Sounds like the fan relay centers transformer and the stack controls transformer are bucking each other.
In other words. Miswired.
is a wire from the heat pump, connected to the W terminal on the fan relay center. And a wire from the stack control also on that W terminal.

What thermostat are you using. Is it a dual fuel thermostat.
Besides that you need to get rid of the stack switch and replace it with a cad cell primary control. This is 2010 you know
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #6

Yes it is a Dual fuel stat..

Ok here is a picture with the wiring and fan control box (Honeywell) with relay in the back ground. The wiring never looked right to me. will installing a dual fuel control be hard? The black wire with white screw cap is from the fan control box the other black wire from the control has a green wire only..

Last edited by jmhai; 01-12-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

If your thermostat is a dual fuel thermostat, you don't need another dual fuel control.
Post brand and model number, so we know if its really a dual fuel thermostat.

Without knowing what all the wires are connected to. Can't tell if its wired wrong or not.

Can you list where every wire goes.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #8

Stat is a Totaline P374-1700

Does this help. As you can see blue and brown from heat pump and stat go nowhere. Stat wired as follows:
wires
White= W2
Black= C
Red= R
Green= G
Yellow= Y1
Orange= W1/O/B
Blue= not connected
Brown= not connected

If you need more info I will try.. I had to flip the wires at the stack switch to get it to work, but you know what happened..
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #9

Did some more reading on the totaline stat and nowhere does it say dual fuel...

http://shortyshvac.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=775
Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Looks like its wired to buck transformers. Which will cause one of them to smoke.

The RA116A has its own transformer. There should be an isolation relay wired between the stack and the fan relay center.

Generally.
The fan relay should provide all power for the thermostat, heat pump, and the isolation relay. And the isolation relay should them control the stack control.

T-Stat-----------Heat Pump---Fan Relay---Isolation Relay----------------------------Relay Stack Control
Rc, Rh jumpered ----R-----------R----------Nothing---------------------------------------Nothing
G-------------------Nothing-----G----------Nothing---------------------------------------Nothing
Y-------------------Y-----------Y----------Nothing---------------------------------------Nothing
O-------------------O-----------Nothing----Nothing---------------------------------------Nothing
C-------------------C-----------C----------One terminal of the 24 volt coil
W/W1/W2-----------W----------W----------The other 24 volt coil terminal
Nothing--------------Nothing----Nothing-----N.O. terminal of relay--------------------------One of the T terminals
Nothing--------------Nothing----Nothing-----N.C. terminal of relay--------------------------Other One of the T terminals
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

I'm not sure if your stat is a dual fuel stat or not.
Has it ever ran both your furnace and heat pump at the same time trying to heat your house.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #12

I will check to see if the stat is sending a signal to both the heat pump and furnace when in aux heat mode at the sametime.. that would mean their both trying to run at the same time right.. The link does not say and it says

"Can be used as heat pump - or - conventional heat and cool thermostat. "

OR not AND be used..??

will test this afternoon..
Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Many stats can be used as a heat pump or conventional heat.
But, when they say used as a heat pump stat,
they are refering to a heat pump with electric aux heat.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #14

Did some more reading and totaline does make a P374-1900 that says it is a dual fuel stat. Why not mention it on the -1700 if it was a dual fuel too. Will double chk operation later today.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #15

I checked the stat and I get a call for heat (24v) on the yellow wire which is for the heat pump.. When the Aux heat turns on I get a signal to both the yellow (heat pump) and to the white wire (primary control/ stack switch).. which correct me if I'm wrong means I have a 2 stage heat stat not a dual fuel stat, if it was dual fuel I would of only had a signal to the white wire during AUX heat not the yellow..??

2 stage heat stat being used for a heat pump with the heat stripes as it AUX heat...?

Advertisement

Last edited by jmhai; 01-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.