Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Options for venting 90+% furnaces

I've got a lennox G71 going to be installed in 2 weeks. Where I live it's a nightmare with bees, bats, birds, mice and various other rodents getting into any open cracks or holes. I have had two bats get in the house and bees came in through a bathroom ceiling fan vent since i've lived here.

So when I had the contractor up I asked him what the options are for some type of screening over those exhaust and intake pipes these types of furnaces use. I had printed out a picture of what i believe is called the BAYVENT that I think is made by Trane. He agreed that would work and would put it in the proposal. Now that im finalizing the deal I see he wrote up for "Concentric vent termination". What is that exactly? All I can get off google looks like pipes coming out of the ground instead of the side of the house. Is this concentric thing what I need to help lower chances of bats, bees and rodents getting in there or is he planning something completely different and wrong? Thanks again guys for all the help on here.

JasonNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,752

That furnace is VERY sensitive to being vented properly and he should know that or you will find out the hard way. I would go with the standard Lennox venting scheme as the exhaust pipe needs the Lennox accelerator. They make a concentric kit, pipe within a pipe but I don't recommend it as when it gets plugged with your critters it may be a nightmare to unplug. ONLY the Lennox venting kit will work with that furnace!! Bayvent works with other brands, not Lennox. You can cover those pipes for the summer as long as you shut off the gas to the furnace so it does not accidentally get turned on and try fire up.

Last edited by yuri; 07-24-2010 at 02:42 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
That furnace is VERY sensitive to being vented properly. I would go with the standard Lennox venting scheme as the exhaust pipe needs the Lennox accelerator. They make a concentric kit, pipe within a pipe but I don't recommend it as when it gets plugged with your critters it may be a nightmare to unplug. ONLY the Lennox venting kit will work with that furnace!! Bayvent works with other brands, not Lennox.
Thanks Yuri. What does the Lennox venting kit look like? Is it the usual up and down type configuration that I see around (like pic)?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
That furnace is VERY sensitive to being vented properly and he should know that or you will find out the hard way. I would go with the standard Lennox venting scheme as the exhaust pipe needs the Lennox accelerator. They make a concentric kit, pipe within a pipe but I don't recommend it as when it gets plugged with your critters it may be a nightmare to unplug. ONLY the Lennox venting kit will work with that furnace!! Bayvent works with other brands, not Lennox. You can cover those pipes for the summer as long as you shut off the gas to the furnace so it does not accidentally get turned on and try fire up.
Through some google searching I came up with this: http://www.innovation-group.com.ua/d...m/gu/0804c.pdf

On page three it lists their termination kits (mine will be the 60c-090). There's two "wall close couple" and a "wall ring kit" along with the concentric you don't recommend. I can't get squat searching for those part numbers to even find a drawing of them. What are these different options? Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

http://tech.lennoxintl.com/PDFs/506509.pdf

p.22 fig.25
p.23 fig26
p.23 fig 30

is the way we do ours.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
http://tech.lennoxintl.com/PDFs/506509.pdf

p.22 fig.25
p.23 fig26
p.23 fig 30

is the way we do ours.
Thanks Yuri! I see the differences now. So the concentrics are causing trouble with animals? It would seem to be my best bet as the intake isn't a gaping hole, but rather a lip around the back, along similar lines to the bayvent. It would seem less likely for something to crawl in there, but I can see what you mean about it looking harder to get something out of there. Hmmm.

Last edited by JasonNY; 07-24-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

I have seen dozens and dozens of them on Carriers, Goodmans and they plug the intake with spiders webs, leaves. If there ever is any exhaust recirculated into the intake they will COMPLETELY plug with ice and are next to impossible to thaw out. I hate them. The Lennox one is slightly worse to deal with as it may have insulation in the inner part. Had to thaw one out with a heat gun last Winter. Overheat it and it will warp. We will only use it is a last resort in a corner or special application.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Could you just put some kind of cage/screen around it? Guess it would be hard to make it look half decent.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

It will frost up, plug up with dirt and reduce the airflow and cause problems.