Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

Opinions on EdenPure space heater

The Gen4 heater uses 1500 watts and produces 5000 Btu's of heat according to the manufacturer. It uses Infrared quartz bulbs to produce the heat. Now, my Trane HP with a HSPF of 9.0 uses 3000 watts of power and is rated at 3.5 tons.
Of course, it doesn't produce 42,000 Btu's at colder temperatures but even if it only produces half of that it would seem like it's more economical to heat the house with the HP than running a space heater. Am I missing something here? Do these heaters have any real merits? Is there a chart that shows how many Btu's are produced nominally at given temperatures by HP's with A 9.0 HSPF?
I guess the EdenPure would be useful if you wanted to heat just one space instead of a whole house. Any thoughts on this?
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Opinions on EdenPure space heater

The only logic Bob Villa and others can truthfully state is that 1) it is efficient to heat only the room(s) that is occupied and 2) there are heat losses in ductwork and piping which usually are less than optimally insulated.

It seems to me that 1500W is the most powerful rating sold to plug into a typical wall outlet. There are many less fancy models available at Walmart, Target etc that will produce same heat for a lot less. What you pay for a Gen4 includes a nice looking unit, good marketing and Bob's salary.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote