Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

Opinions on ACPRO

Just curious what the PROs think of ACPRO. I couldn't tell from the videos, but I'm under the impression that the charging hose is NOT screwed onto the 'tank', so the hose can't be vented before charging.

What say guys?

V

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Opinions on ACPRO

Post a link to the vid.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Post a link to the vid.
The site is located at acprocold.com. The video is located just below the top.

Just for general info, this product is a DIY kit for charging your car's a/c.

V
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Opinions on ACPRO

Most DIY auto set ups. You can pull the rigger before you attach the hose to the auto system and purge the hose.

Should be the same on that one.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #5

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
Most DIY auto set ups. You can pull the rigger before you attach the hose to the auto system and purge the hose.

Should be the same on that one.
I had thought that. Funny though, the video doesn't mention that. I guess there's too much potential for (self-inflicted) injury.

Do you have any comments about 'tilting' the cannister during charging, and/or the concept of pressure vs. ambient temp in general?

Thanks.

V
Old 06-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Opinions on ACPRO

The tilting is to make sure the oil and sealants go in to the system, but don't flood the compressor.

The pressure to ambient is just to give you an idea of where it should be reading. not real accurate, but close enough.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
The tilting is to make sure the oil and sealants go in to the system, but don't flood the compressor.

The pressure to ambient is just to give you an idea of where it should be reading. not real accurate, but close enough.
Thanks Beenthere, I'm going to give it a shot.

V
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Opinions on ACPRO

A 20 oz can of "ac pro" is $40. Although it doesn't specify, that total 20 oz also includes I would guess, oil and their "stop leak". So probably not 20 oz of 134a. But even if it is, read on.

Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight, armed with your 20% coupon. A manifold gauge set is $45. Go to a local Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and get a can tap for $6. Then go to Wal-Mart or Car Quest or even Costco and get 12 oz bottles of 134a for $6-$8 a pop.

It's a little more expensive upfront, but all parts (except the 134a) are reusable and you can monitor the high and low side of your system...

As far as titling goes. If your system uses an accumulator on the low side you could be OK tilting the can completely upside down. Reason I say this is because the 134a will go first into the accumulator, even if you "pour" it in in the liquid state.

If the car has a receiver/dryer and expansion valve, the low side would go directly to the compressor so you would not want to tilt the can upside down and introduce liquid into the compressor directly.

Last edited by wheelsup; 06-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.
wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A 20 oz can of "ac pro" is $40. Although it doesn't specify, that total 20 oz also includes I would guess, oil and their "stop leak". So probably not 20 oz of 134a. But even if it is, read on.

Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight, armed with your 20% coupon. A manifold gauge set is $45. Go to a local Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and get a can tap for $6. Then go to Wal-Mart or Car Quest or even Costco and get 12 oz bottles of 134a for $6-$8 a pop.

It's a little more expensive upfront, but all parts (except the 134a) are reusable and you can monitor the high and low side of your system...

As far as titling goes. If your system uses an accumulator on the low side you could be OK tilting the can completely upside down. Reason I say this is because the 134a will go first into the accumulator, even if you "pour" it in in the liquid state.

If the car has a receiver/dryer and expansion valve, the low side would go directly to the compressor so you would not want to tilt the can upside down and introduce liquid into the compressor directly.
Thanks for the detailed information. For a number of reasons, I hadn't done anything about the situation. About a week ago, I decided to take the plunge, and go for it. Since I'm not a PRO, I wouldn't be getting a professional gauge set.

I visited 3 Walmart stores looking for the acpro. One had nothing a/c related; another was out of it (disc?). Today, I had to go to my 'regular' store, which is being converted to a super center. They had 1 bottle (no box) with the safety seal removed. Obviously, used and returned. Didn't bite. There was a competitive product, EZ chill, which is a copy cat product. The charging hose/gauge is removable and can be connected directly to a can of gas, or used as is to check pressure (suction).

It took the whole can of 'gas', but was slightly below the recommended pressure. I may top it off, but the result was freezing cold comfort. Oh yes, the best part: the unit was about $30 with tax.

Thanks for the good information.

V
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

Opinions on ACPRO

Be careful, it can and will actually take more than the system is designed for, even to the point where it will blow a high pressure relief. The entire charge in an auto system is around 30 oz so adding 20 oz, which is maybe 18 oz r 134a and the rest oil, is a lot.

Even with gauges there isn't a foolproof way to get the charge exact like in a home system. So if it's working well and cooling, call it done. But if you didn't look for and fix your leak expect to have at it again soon, especially if the leak was bad enough that it needed 20 oz. Yikes.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Opinions on ACPRO

I was waiting on that "purge" word never heard it in the video and this stuff is to top off only 134A systems..if your flat need to leak check add oil and revac..before the stuff goes in...need to see the engine up to 2500 rpms simulating 55 hood down 40psi on that suction suction receiver should feel like a can of beer pulled out of a iced cooler
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #12

Opinions on ACPRO

Also need to have the inside fan on high with system in recirc... and best to have one of those huge garage fans to provide proper airflow over the condenser. Just so many variables....
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. For a number of reasons, I hadn't done anything about the situation. About a week ago, I decided to take the plunge, and go for it. Since I'm not a PRO, I wouldn't be getting a professional gauge set.

I visited 3 Walmart stores looking for the acpro. One had nothing a/c related; another was out of it (disc?). Today, I had to go to my 'regular' store, which is being converted to a super center. They had 1 bottle (no box) with the safety seal removed. Obviously, used and returned. Didn't bite. There was a competitive product, EZ chill, which is a copy cat product. The charging hose/gauge is removable and can be connected directly to a can of gas, or used as is to check pressure (suction).

It took the whole can of 'gas', but was slightly below the recommended pressure. I may top it off, but the result was freezing cold comfort. Oh yes, the best part: the unit was about $30 with tax.

Thanks for the good information.

V

Used the one with the sealer recently, clogged my fix orifice valve!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

Opinions on ACPRO

~SNICKER, CHORTLE~

As many times as the pros say to stay away from additives some poor guy
always gets burned.

Hope it wasn't too much hassle to fix.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #15

Opinions on ACPRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
~SNICKER, CHORTLE~

As many times as the pros say to stay away from additives some poor guy
always gets burned.

Hope it wasn't too much hassle to fix.
Wished I had taken a pic! Had it vac down, system opened and replaced FOV. Gonna probably have it done again after a while, just to see if we catch more.