Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

I have just recently installed a new Olsen furnace (BFL120)- actually did help the heating guy (licensed etc) in my 1200 sq ft home. I now think (know) I have a problem. I want to give you some background on the install to help with any questions. New furnace (has the "new" green LED light for problem code on the Beckett burner, new feed from electrical panel, new firematic, switches etc- bascially everything was new except the thermostat.

The first night at approx 2 AM I heard the furnace running and was happy thinking everything was all set. Fast forward to 5 AM and my wife said that it was 58 degrees in the house. I got up and sure enough it was.

I went downstairs, turned the power off, then back on, pushed the red reset switch once-- furnace started up and ran fine. Approximately 3 PM that day, same thing, furnace was not running and cold again inside. This time I switched the power off and then back on. The furnace started up and ran fine.

Day three, I thought it might be the t-stat as when we did the change over, we turned the t-stat way up to purge, clean out the oil line etc. My theory is that maybe I tweeked the wiring etc inside the t-stat. Either way, this morning I changed it out for good measure.

This afternoon at approximately noon time, 60 degrees again. WTF!?!? Does anyone have any ideas? The furnace guy is headed this way and says it might be that the new furnace doesn't like the old style mercury t-stat-- he also said the t-stat might need to be set(?). He's a new kid (approx 25-30 yrs) just out on his own. I don't feel that he's screwing me but may not have all the experience as an older guy.

My thought it that the furnace is not recognizing the t-stat?? My theory is based on the idea that as soon as you turn the power off and then back on everything runs fine for a while-- kinda like the t-stat won't always let the furnace itself restart as the house does its regular cooling?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,606

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

Could be the stat.
Could be a bad wire connection at the primary.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #3

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

OK, more information on this. My guy was by this afternoon, he adjusted the t-stat, stating that it needed to be adjusted to "antisipate" the funace coming on and off etc-- needing to recognize the cycling of the furnace. FYI- its a Honeywell t-stat, the old style round dial. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,700

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

If you have to cycle the power OR press the red reset button then the furnace "Locked Out" on the safety control. Usually from flame failure. Is the unit using a 2 pipe system from the tank to furnace and back again? If so it may have a leak/sucking air/getting air in the line etc etc. May need a more experienced tech to sort it out. Those high efficiency oil burners need to be set up with a combustion analyzer/smoke test analysis and can be very finicky.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

There is only one pipe from the tank. Is there a way to check for air?? Like using soapy water on propane etc?? The furnace bled out OK and started right up. But I understand what you mean by the flame cutting out.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

A one pipe system should not have that problem. Do you have a underground tank? Is your oil fresh and clean? Had bad oil once which had water in it. Here is the Beckett site. Lots of good stuff there/has pdf files to download manuals. Has info on how to setup those burners etc.
http://www.beckettcorp.com/product/product.asp?prodid=1

Last edited by yuri; 12-17-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #7

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

Thanks very much for the link- I'll check it out. For what its worth, the tank is in my basement, we also blew the line out prior to running the new funace, new filter and gaskets-- everything was done right near as I can tell. It seems like the t-stat doesn't recognize that its cold enough to turn on again.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

I doubt if it is the thermostat as it is locking out. Have him/you check the electric eye/cad cell. It may be dirty/loose from shipping. Be careful it is delicate. The anticipator adjusts the length of cycles slightly by generating a bit of false heat thru a resistance heater. If tstat is set at 70 deg it cuts out at 69 and the left over heat in the chamber blows out with the fan and brings it up to 70 so tstat doesn't overshoot its setpoint. Has nothing to do with when it/how it cuts in.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #9

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

I was looking at that link however, I do not see the burner that I have. I'm currently at work and do not have the model but mine has that green LED eye-- I didn't see it anywhere. Any thoughts?? And again, thanks very much for your help, at least I'm learning something. I think I'm going to give him his second chance then call the big guys.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

The anticipator not being adjusted right, won't prevent the furnace from starting.
Its just a small heater in the stat.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #11

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

OK, here's some good information (I think it is) for anyone interested. After trying a new used t-stat (there was nothing wrong with this one- just had sat around for a while) I was told that we should try a digital t-stat. I had the regular furnace guy (where I bought the unti) swing by as I was getting upset. So, long story short-- the guy put in a new digital t-stat and everything so far is working great. His explaination was that the old style has too much variance (the new burner units are a little more fussy when asking for heat being turned on-off etc). Thanks.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

The old stat was just bad.
Has nothing to do with the old ones having more variance, or dead band.
And the stat that was just sitting around. Isn't a known good stat.
It may be known that it worked when it was removed. But that doesn't mean it was actually a good stat.

There are a fair amount of old T87F thermostats, running new furnaces, both gas and oil, with no problems.

Personally, I haven't installed a new furnace or A/C without installing a new thermostat for a long long time, for this very reason.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #13

Olsen BFL 120 Furnace

Learn something new everyday. I spent all that money and didn't replace the t-stat. I bet the next furnace I replace (hopefully not for 25 odd yrs) I'll put a new t-stat in. Thanks very much for your help.