Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Older York Gas Furnace not staying on

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so thanks for listening! I have what seems to be an older York furnace. I cannot, for the life of me, find the model #. My problem has been that the heater will go on, but after a while it turns off. The digital thermostat still says its on and yet has not reached the desired temperature. If I turn it off and let it sit for a minute, then turn it back on, it works again. Then the problem repeats. I had a guy out last winter when a similar thing happened and he cleaned something (the flame sensor?). It worked fine and then sat all summer and now the same thing is happening. Can I do this myself? Because I cannot find the model number, it has been difficult to identify the flame sensor. Is it one of these parts?…

If it is one of these parts, what is the best way to clean? I have tried reaching in there with a metal brush and also sandpaper, but don't feel like I can effectively clean that way. I have also attempted removing the whole casing, but the screws are pretty determined not to come out of their inconveniently placed spots.
I will try to give any information I can if this description is not enough.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here are a few more pictures if that helps:

docStrangluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

A..is the pilot...B is grounding bar...C is the ignitor.. with the stat calling for heat toogle off the furnace down at the furnace off the switch there....that orange wire is the ignition spark ignitor like a car spark plug...do you hear a sparking going on with the power up....then pilot lights spark stops and the main burner comes on...then the supply fan... just like this ignore that orange background color in the pilot area isn't part of the lighting...watch the spark jump from the orange cable

Last edited by biggles; 01-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

The sensor is the electrode. When the pilot is established the spark stops and the ignition cable acts as the flame sensor circuit. The flame signal strength is measured to ground. You must have a flame signal of about 2 micro amps DC for the flames to stay light.
If you do not have a meter to measure the flame strength than I would pull the entire assembly and replace. Yes, it can be a tough project but it it is not impossible.

Also make sure that the limit is not cutting the burners off. The limit is a safety that protects the furnace from overheating. It would give you the same symptoms if it cut the burners out.

Another thing to be aware of it that the control module and the valve could be at fault too. Hope this helps.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

@biggles: Thanks. I think I understand the process a little more now. All that seems to be functioning correctly.

@hvac5646: So is it possible that I just need to stick with it removing the assembly and then clean all those components? I am looking to try any solutions that don't cost money for the time being.

Here is the temp limiter (not really sure how all that works). Not sure if that helps…

Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

thats a typical limit controller sensing the heat exchanger temperatures that 200F see the stop pin on it thats your hi temp limit if it goes to that point ...dirty filter,no supply fan causes the heat-X to over heat knocking off the main gas valve..OFF.the 100F(drop to 80F0 setting is the OFF point of the supply fan and that 125F(raise a bit to 140F) is the fan ON during a heating call..control numbers are very liberal but splitting the 2-fan ones will give you a little warmer air sent UP into the space,and a longer run when the stat satisfies and get the residual heat off the heat exchanger...... typical heating cycles is... stat calls...burner starts...exchanger heats up silver dial turns hits yours/125F..suggested 140F(15F hotter air)...supply fan runs and the unit heats the house.stat satisfies...burner off...fan continues running till that low setting yours/100F suggested/80F cools the heat X down so there you get 20F more degrees of heat into the space...before the next call for heat.if you ever have a no fan situation go right to that control during heating.if you have AC check the fan with FAN/ON at stat that will verify the capacitor is good with the HI SPEED air.NOTE heating cycle with residential uses LO or MED LO speeds thats why the air seems slower during the winter.maint tip filter typical,and check those squirrel cage rounds on the supply fan for dirt and dusts
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah I would stick with it until I got it out. That assembly looks fugo, but, again, might not be the prob. But it does need a good cleaning. Replace new if you can cause it's a choir to clean one that crusty and you might be saving your self for more problems in the future.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #7

So I attempted to remove the assembly again with no luck. After a little more poking on the internet I found some leads that said it may have something to do with air intake. I removed the filter with no results. Then I removed the register on the main return (?) and it is working! So what now? Could it be that the blower motor is old and weak? What can I do?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Do you have central A/C also. If so, the evap coil could be dirty.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Do you have central A/C also. If so, the evap coil could be dirty.
I do. I will look into that. Thanks