Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Older Rheem heatpump

Here's a real head-scratcher; This heat pump is very likely original (1972) I had an issue with the capacitor last year, wired in a new one, everything's cool. (pun intended) So a couple days ago I come home to a hot house. The unit seems to be running as it should: with the exception of the fact that one of the fans is turning in the wrong direction. Yep, she's a-blowin', instead of a-suckin. The other fan is turning in the proper direction. Obviously, I should pro-actively replace this dinosaur, can you say "budget"? What can I expect of this unit in the coming heat?

mrskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,432

Older Rheem heatpump

which a fan is blowin backwards? condensor fan? if so the capacitor may be faulty. if it runs backwards you won't get any coolin and the motor and compressor will overheat and die. if the compressor is shorting to ground it can cause the fan to run backwards. this is a a VERY dangerous situation and if you touch the condensor it will electrocute you. may want to get a Pro to check it.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

Older Rheem heatpump

Yuri,
Thank you, eh? I'm going to go out there right now and figure which fan motor it is that is running cattywhompus. I appreciate your help. How's the weather in the Great White Norte? GOT to be cooler than here in central Texas, where we've had 30 days of triple digit heat already.
p.s. Do you happen to know a guy named Dudley Doright? Skip
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Older Rheem heatpump

It gets hot here but not even remotely close to what you get. If we get 90 F and 70 % RH it is a disaster if it lasts more than a week which it does once or twice a year. Now 6 weeks of -20 to -30 F cold with a 30 mph wind is more of what I am used to in the Winter. The Mounties are not as fuzzy bunny friendly as there parade red coats make them out to be. Tazered a poor guy to death in the Vancouver airport last year. Poor guy got off a long flight, could not speak English properly, was disorientated and they let him have it because he was acting a bit weird.

We like our beer here and these are my heroes. Google Bob and Doug McKenzie and check out some you-tube vids for more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Older Rheem heatpump-bobanddoug1.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #5

Older Rheem heatpump

Yuri
Yeah, I knew who these 2 chuckle-heads were as soon as I saw the photo. My favorite was 12 days of Christmas. " ....and a beer...."
The year was 1970, the place was Ontario Motor Speedway. The occasion was a 3-4 day rock festival. The sponsors were John and Yoko.
We rocked for four (or was it six ) days, during which time I managed to lose my wallet, containing any identification I had. I was "stuck" in your beautiful, clean, friendly country for the best part of a year. Oh, what memories. Rochdale college. Yorkville. The prettiest hippie girls anywhere.
I no sooner get back to the states, I get drafted.
What luck, eh? Skip
Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Older Rheem heatpump

It may be cold as heck where I am but I like it here. Ground doesn`t shake, no hurrycanes or snakes. Mozqeetoes as big as Crows (our Provincial bird) and the odd wandering Polar bear. Home is where you hang yer hat and what you are used too I guess.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #7

Older Rheem heatpump

These bones can't take the cccccold anymore - they seize up (freeze up) quicker 'n a Cummins deisel at zero below zero (F.) I've seen it at 113 degrees here one day back in '04. Seen it so blasted hoomid that the driver flies further than the golf ball - grip 'er tight next time?.
Never did figure out which fan motor is spinning wrong direction. It is the side I can see the capacitor on, don't see a capacitor on the other one. It does have one, right? Also, there's one more wire feeding into the one motor than the other. Is this a clue? Maybe I'll just twist the fan blades over, where they push instead of pull. How's that for desperate-rigging?
One more thing, Yur. The old girl's a Ruud. Not a Rheem. Any difference?
Mr. Skip
p.s. it's 8:30 a.m. EIGHTY-SIX DEGREES !

Last edited by beenthere; 07-10-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fixed langauge
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

Older Rheem heatpump

Have no idea what it looks like or is. Heat pumps are VERY rare here and if it is that old then it may be time for a new one anyway. Post some pics of it here and maybe someone can recognize it. Won't be me as we don't use them as they don't produce enough heat below -10C / 14F to be worthwhile. Cheaper to use natural gas here.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,970

Older Rheem heatpump

Rheem/Ruud, same thing.

Post pics of your A/C.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #10

Older Rheem heatpump

Hello Beenthere,
Thanks. I'll try to get a picture of the ol' dinoaur loaded on here. As tech-stoopid as I am, it will present a bit of a challenge, but I'll do 'er.
mrskip
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Gbm

Older Rheem heatpump

Been a while since I studied elec theory but can't remember any situation in which an a/c motor can run backwards unless it has 2 sets of windings (but you can learn something new each day!) I assume this is a 2 fan condenser - could be as simple as one fan is not running and the air pressure from the other is causing it to freewheel backwards. Several ways to check with the best using an amp meter. Simple way is to shut unit off (pull disconnect) and feel both motors - If the backwards one is cool then you have a troubleshooting point to start with.
Gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Older Rheem heatpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbm View Post
Been a while since I studied elec theory but can't remember any situation in which an a/c motor can run backwards unless it has 2 sets of windings (but you can learn something new each day!) I assume this is a 2 fan condenser - could be as simple as one fan is not running and the air pressure from the other is causing it to freewheel backwards. Several ways to check with the best using an amp meter. Simple way is to shut unit off (pull disconnect) and feel both motors - If the backwards one is cool then you have a troubleshooting point to start with.

Condenser fan motors have 2 windings. A start and a run winding as all PSC motors do.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Older Rheem heatpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskip View Post
Hello Beenthere,
Thanks. I'll try to get a picture of the ol' dinoaur loaded on here. As tech-stoopid as I am, it will present a bit of a challenge, but I'll do 'er.
mrskip

I'm not too good at posting pics either.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Older Rheem heatpump

Step 1) click on Go Advanced button by Quick Reply

Step 2) Go to Manage Attachments lower down

Step 3) Click on Browse and find the picture which you have saved as a jpeg (from any digital camera or some web pages) in your My Pictures folder on your C Drive

Step 4) Single Click it and open it and upload it
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #15

Older Rheem heatpump

Thank y'all,
And especially Yuri ( Yuri, I meant to ask you, are you able to bend spoons with your thoughts, or am I confusing you with another chap with the same handle?). Yuri will likely respond, " Ya dumb bloke, There's no "Y".
At any rate, just for ****s-n-grins, I went and felt of the "freewheeling" fan, and like to have burned ma hand off. So, we can scratch the mysterious "black hole" theory. No, she's a-spinnin in a completely catawhompus (sp.?) die-reckshun. Funny, no one said anything about my idea of twisting the blades to the suck direction. hmmm....
At any rate, lemme see can I load these pics for diagnosis. Thanks everyone. mrskip
p.s. Yuri, what is a PSC motor? and, is it really possible to run in either direction? You'll have to forgive me, I'm just a dumb tile-setter that can't afford a pro to come out. Thanks