Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

Old York heat exchanger cover plate removel?

I have a old York gas furnace in my garage that I'm seeing lots of soot. I only use it on weekends. But it seem to be getting to the point I'm planing on replacing it.

Where are the inspection covers for the heat exchanger? I would like to take a look at it. What do they look light?

Can the furnace be running when covers removed? I assume they can?

Last edited by rodm1; 12-30-2011 at 07:07 AM.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

if your sooting up the only cleaning is remove the burner tubes and punch up into them kind of blind and the crap will drop down.WHY you sootin' check the positions of the air inlet adjusters that the header orifice fits into sounds like your starving for air....push a brush up the burner tubes in hand wire brush the openings...remove the orifices off the gas header that the burner tube uses for support(box wrench just tap to loosen back in finger tight)slight wrench snug don't slam it.....might have spiders bugs dead in the openings.if the burner is packed with soot check that flue pipe going out as far as you can....re install the burners brush pilot assembly on the way out there...light the burner and adjust the air inlets on the end of the burner tube one at a time to get a blue flame like a stove top burner.tap the burner tube end with a screw driver handle shake crap ...lets hear backNOTE might have fixed air adjusters but the burner is starving if soot is being produced..check the fins on that fan squirrelk cage no dirt or major dust run index finger along them

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm1 View Post
I have a old York gas furnace in my garage that I'm seeing lots of soot. I only use it on weekends. But it seem to be getting to the point I'm planing on replacing it.

Where are the inspection covers for the heat exchanger? I would like to take a look at it. What do they look light?

Can the furnace be running when covers removed? I assume they can?
Very good information from biggles.....

I got into this trade because I didn't like wrenching on cars and I hated getting so dirty that momma wont let me in the back door.....when i work on a sooted up unit I call red roof inn home for a week....my point is take it to the curb and get new....including the stack.
usually old and soot = bad heat exchanger, or a unit that has never been serviced.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-30-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks, I do need to clean it good. I've tried to clean it fully assembled but I will try dissembling it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

just removing the burner tubes will give you plenty of room to punch up,might be all of them or just one hate to repeat but note those air inlets before removing stuff need to find out why it's sooted.... Harley...my soot experiences where with boilers mostly the larger commercial rooftops 60/75 tons...usually the maint guy stepped on the PVC condensate trap to put a screw in a panelsnap!....and the unit sucked air in and the condensate was pulled up in and over the heat exchanger certain death by water droplets one summer would do it........RODM1 didn't mean to hijack the thread...lets here back on the soot story as you go
Old 12-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #6

Well I tried to get the burners out but they seem to be stuck in there. The end farthest in side the furnace has a bar running threw the center of burner. That area seems to be the problem (rusted?) didn't wont to force it. Sow I ended up giving up.

I happen to have a air compressor and ended up blowing all and I mean all the soot in the exchanger out! I whose shocked at how much soot whose in there. When finished I put a light in there and it all looks clean with no cracks I could see.

I think one of the major problems whose one of the air inlet adjusters where loose. That side has the most soot. The burners are rusty and I think that is another problem.

I fired it up and it ran good. I tried to adjust the air inlet adjusters and it didn't seem to change the flame any sow left at factory setting .620. Then ran it for a few minutes to burn off some of the dirt and the flame cleaned up some will have to run it more to be shire.

That brings up the question on flame appearance. Keep in mind I still have to run it for at least a day to clean it out more. But I'm getting a blue flame with upper half that is orange. Is that what I'm looking for or should it be all blue?

Thanks for the help. Any ideas how to get the burner tubes loose?

Last edited by rodm1; 12-31-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

blue is good dust probably burning off with the yellow,on those tight burner tubes try pulling them back and forth reaching in with one hand to grab it....slight wiggle won't hurt...