Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

old parts after system upgrade

After I finished my furnace and a/c coil upgrade I sold my old functional 78% gas furnace to a local HVAC contractor who will probably use it for parts. Lots of good parts in there.

But what about the old coil? That thing has a lot of copper in it that should be recycled. Anyone know what sort of price the metals dealers typically pay for one of these? It's a 3 ton Bryant R22 cased coil, BTW. Just wondering if it would be worth my time to look for one of these guys or just take it to the county recycling facility....

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Do you really need the money enough to take the time and gas to take it to a scrap yard?

You can get even more if you take it apart and separate the aluminum from the copper...do you really need the money that bad...you may have more money wrapped up in bandaids by the time you're done.

My suggestion, FWIW. Set it in your front yard with a "FREE" sign, a scrapper will smell it from 25 miles away and it will be recycled within hours.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

No, I don't need the money... Certainly not worth the bother to disassemble it or drive far and wide looking for a metals dealer. Just asking because copper prices seem to have really gone up a lot lately and it might be enough for beer $. :-)

I plan to take it to the county waste facility (dump) that also takes recycling. It is a pretty cool setup... you drive through and hit areas for all sorts of items/materials... one for cardboard/mixed paper; one for TVs, PCs, electronics, etc; one for glass; one for used oil and antifreeze; one for toxic chemicals. And they also have a specific scrap metals area. That is where the coil is likely headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Do you really need the money enough to take the time and gas to take it to a scrap yard?

You can get even more if you take it apart and separate the aluminum from the copper...do you really need the money that bad...you may have more money wrapped up in bandaids by the time you're done.

My suggestion, FWIW. Set it in your front yard with a "FREE" sign, a scrapper will smell it from 25 miles away and it will be recycled within hours.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote