DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Old Holly Lear Siegler Gas Furnace Switch Location (

Siankaan9 11-05-2011 09:29 PM

Old Holly Lear Siegler Gas Furnace Switch Location
Need some help related to locating a "switch" on or near a gas furnace. Its an old Lear Siegler 120000 btu natural gas input...heater. I believe the model number is IGA12CD14 (probably original 1960s, when house built). Well, the Gas company guy came to inspect the heater and told my wife (her words) that it was working fine but that there was a switch that kept on falling back to the Off position and, he continued, frankly, "I'd just call a handy-man to tape the thing on the ON position. Well, that seemed a little weird to me...but that was two weeks ago and now its 28 degrees outside and I NEED MY HEATER! haha... I went into crawl space and cannot find anything even remotely looking like a "switch" that falls back into the off position. Does anybody have any suggestions that don't include the words: get a HVAC technician or Get a new one? Thanks guys.

Doc Holliday 11-05-2011 09:33 PM

call an electrician. Ha! :jester:

look for a light switch. follow the main power wire back from the furnace.

how 11-05-2011 10:37 PM

It would usually be near the entrance of the crawlspace. It will look like a light switch. Usually it will be near the ceiling. If it's not there then follow the 120 V line from the furnace and it will lead you to it( as Doc says).
After you've turned it back on and heated up the house, I'd replace that switch since something is wearing out inside it.

biggles 11-06-2011 05:17 AM

should be 2 switches one with a red cover emergency as you go up into the attic then a service lightswitch for shutting the furnace down at the furnace tape both check power is up go to the stat and put the FAN in ON position if you have cooling on that stat

how 11-06-2011 12:26 PM

Your gas company checks out heating systems? Ours requires the smell of gas (bad publicity) to move them beyond a "call your gas contracter" response.

When you said crawlspace.. did you mean under the house or the attic?

In our neck of the woods, the red faced shut off switches only seem to have been used for houses that had oil heating systems that were then left in place when folks switched over to gas. We view any of those ancient switches as a likely cause for furnace power loss.

Siankaan9 11-07-2011 11:13 PM

Yeah, they (gas co.) just come out to do a light inspection around these parts. Maybe they'll light some pilots, and that kind of stuff.
And yes, crawl space is under the house. And I just went back down there and there aren't any switches at all. I've followed all electrical lines and each and every conduit, and nothing. I wonder if I can post pictures here, do you know if I can?
Thanks for your help guys...this is pretty frustrating.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1