Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Old furnace

Look at this 1958 Lenox GH5 furnace I got to change today. It was the original to the house and was working (with many repairs) up until last week

Old furnace-image-3631239539.jpg

Old furnace-image-2133073038.jpg

It was about twice the size of the new unit we installed but about half as efficient

Old furnace-image-935059509.jpg

Old furnace-image-4027559917.jpg

And all the components. Notice the bent gas pipe, that's how they used to do this. Wow

Old furnace-image-2560882787.jpg

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

Old furnace

Why did you stay with a unit pulling internal air for combustion? The reason the difference, is the fact that they now have software to do the work that slide rulers used to do, along with today's structures are meant to be more efficient.

Bad thing is, the new unit had to be sized to compensate for any drafts and leaks that your place has, if the proper work has not been done to air seal and make the structure efficient.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Experienced HVAC Tech

Old furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Why did you stay with a unit pulling internal air for combustion? The reason the difference, is the fact that they now have software to do the work that slide rulers used to do, along with today's structures are meant to be more efficient.

Bad thing is, the new unit had to be sized to compensate for any drafts and leaks that your place has, if the proper work has not been done to air seal and make the structure efficient.
The simplest explanation is that's what the customer wanted. We gave them a few options including a few high efficiency units with a two pipe system but they didn't want to spend that much money. However we are piping in a new 6in combustion air to go along with the existing vent in. Also we replaced most of the return air runs and sealed them tight. Gotta Love that Pucky!!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Old furnace

That is the problem with customers. They do not want to spend a whole lot of money, but in six to eight months, will be calling you up *****ing that their new system is no better than the old, and that pipe you put in for combustion air, lets in too much cold air, so they want you to redo it, along with start talking the L word, along with taking you to court.

I love our Lennox Signature series that we had installed in 2005. Have not looked back, and works non-stop with just minor maintenance. Before that, we had a Octopus dating back to 1937 that was still running good, when we bought our place in 2003. Same owner lived there from 1937 to 2003, and took very good care of everything.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Experienced HVAC Tech

Old furnace

Holy cow!! Well good for them and good for you. I think they will love this unit. They chose a very nice two stage with variable speed blower. I have seen what you mean though with the cold air coming from the combustion air pipe. However this customer did his research and wanted to make sure there was enough piped in so we did the calculations for him and quoted him a full price.

Last edited by HVAC1000; 12-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Experienced HVAC Tech

Old furnace

"post deleted"

Last edited by HVAC1000; 12-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Old furnace

Just go in and edit the post, click on the photo, then press the delete key to get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Old furnace

If it was a caption this, both of you would be saying "I swear you set it on the right input, so why isn't the movie showing up on the tv." Even better is "Dad, I swear it was not me that caused that crack to appear across the front of your brand new HD set."