Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

old electric furnace componant questions

hi guys, my small 1983 furnace won't work on auto fan setting. if i turn it to "fan on" the heat works. i thought might be a sequencer problem, but when i opened it up, i don't see anything that looks like a sequencer. does anyone recognize this setup? it's horizontal in the attic. 900 sq ft house.

bigscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 88

No, because it would be what we consider in a digital age, analog. Parts may be hard to come by for that antique. I would start by looking at that small circuit board, where the 24vac transformer is on the right.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No, because it would be what we consider in a digital age, analog. Parts may be hard to come by for that antique. I would start by looking at that small circuit board, where the 24vac transformer is on the right.
i haven't seen a circuit board. that thing just below the transformer is maybe a relay thingie of some sort. is that what you're talking about?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 88

Only circuit board there is below the transformer. Relays go bad over time, due to the contacts get pitted and the springs wear out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Sounds like you simply have a bad relay in the furnace that supposed to turn on the fan when heat is called for. Are you getting power to the heating coil?

Also, what type of thermostat are you using? If you have a newer digital thermostat you hooked up to it, they have a setup option for "electric heat" When the thermostat is in this mode, it sends signals on both the fan and the heat circuits. If your battery ran down in your thermostat for a long period of time (like over the summer when you didn't notice it) it could have lost it's configuration and gone back to "fossil fuel" mode, where ONLY a signal is sent on the heat line, and not on the blower line when heat is called for.
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-geek View Post
Sounds like you simply have a bad relay in the furnace that supposed to turn on the fan when heat is called for. Are you getting power to the heating coil?

Also, what type of thermostat are you using? If you have a newer digital thermostat you hooked up to it, they have a setup option for "electric heat" When the thermostat is in this mode, it sends signals on both the fan and the heat circuits. If your battery ran down in your thermostat for a long period of time (like over the summer when you didn't notice it) it could have lost it's configuration and gone back to "fossil fuel" mode, where ONLY a signal is sent on the heat line, and not on the blower line when heat is called for.
the heating coil only comes on in "fan on" thermostat mode. there is a swich on the back of the thermostat for oil/gas or electric. this is a close-up of that thing below the transformer.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-geek View Post

you were right! i red the thermostat manual again and it was set to fossil fuel. thanks!