Old A/C Blew, Time For A New HVAC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
DIY is my excitement

Rewards Points: 10

Old A/C blew, time for a new HVAC unit

Well it has happened to me, I need some advice. Recently I posted a thread here on my A/C which needed a Cap replaced. This forum helped me replace a cap, but it later stopped working again for another reason.

The final diagnosis is that there is a hole in the system, near the compressor and you can hear it hissing when turned on briefly. So I am told since the compressor blew and ran for some time, the lines need to be replaced with new lines otherwise i risk contamination of the new system. The replacement cost given to me for just the a/c is $2800.00. Is this a fair price? I think the replacement unit is the GSX 430301R41011.

So I also asked for the price of replacing the furnace at the same time, I was quoted an installed price of $2700.00 for that, the unit being a 95% efficient unit, GMH 950703BX.

So the advice I need is, 1. are these fair prices? And 2. should I replace the entire HVAC system?

Thanks,
Tom

Advertisement

tburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

It's hard to tell from here if those are fair prices. That depends on what the market is like in your area. The prices don't seem too out of line for Goodman products where I am, but this all hinges on a quality installation. The best components in the world are nothing more than scrap metal if not installed correctly.

How many HVAC companies did you get bids from?

Did the companies who gave you a bid do any heat load calculations on your home to make sure 2.5 tons of A/C was correct? Is 70K Btu anough heat, or have you added new windows and insulation and now only require 60K Btu?

As far as whether it needs a complete change out is also a question that can only be answered by a competent technician. A lot of systems with burnt out compressors are repaired by installing a new compressor after flushing the line sets.

How old is your current furnace? I see no sense replacing a good heating unit if it has several years of life left just to get a small increase in efficiency. A 2 stage blower such as the unit quoted will allow for better comfort, especially if your old furnace had a single stage blower.

All of these questions can be answered by a good HVAC company.

Advertisement

Last edited by fabrk8r; 08-21-2010 at 05:12 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 826

I would get a couple more quotes. The lines should be replaced as the new unit uses R410 with a different oil. You don't want any old oil or contamination in your new system. If you have a matching 13 yr old Bryant furnace I would consider a new furnace. If it has the original circuit board there has been problems with them and may need replacing soon. I would get a price on the Goodman GMV 2 stage unit with ECM motor. A lot quieter and more efficient and pretty well built now that it is 1/2 Amana stuff.

Last edited by yuri; 08-21-2010 at 05:39 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

I've attached a document that may be of some value to you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc HOW TO SELECT AN HVAC COMPANY.doc (33.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
DIY is my excitement

That is a good article on how to select an HVAC company. I have had 2 other complete HVAC units replaced in 2 of my rentals by this company. Those installations didn't involve replacements of the line set, and they were much less money for the installation, about $3500.00.

I have another HVAC company coming over Monday to give me a quote, Home Depot, their default system is Trane. Well, I will see how that goes.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rentals are one thing, the unit YOU have to live with is another. You get what you pay for. The Big box guys and #ears use sub contractors and the least expensive they can find. Once again you get what you pay for.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Pricing can only be determined by getting estimates from contractors in your area.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
DIY is my excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Pricing can only be determined by getting estimates from contractors in your area.
I may even get some estimates from local contractors. Where can I find them listed? At one time I would pick up the yellow pages... I'm just trying to think of a good source.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
DIY is my excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Rentals are one thing, the unit YOU have to live with is another. You get what you pay for. The Big box guys and #ears use sub contractors and the least expensive they can find. Once again you get what you pay for.
So true. What is a #ears?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Ssssss
Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
DIY is my excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Ssssss
I should have figured that out, I like Sears.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburk View Post
I may even get some estimates from local contractors. Where can I find them listed? At one time I would pick up the yellow pages... I'm just trying to think of a good source.
Yellow pages, internet web sites(most companies have a website).
Ask friends who they used, and how they liked them.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

First things first you need to decide what type of A/C you want in your home (use,budget,etc). This page gives a short description of the different types. Also consider portable units as they are cheap, efficient and of course portable so you don't need to eat an unoccupied room.
Once you have chose get some quotes, the more you get the better. Also ask for references (or reputation).You may find pages online that will get quotes from contractors in your area.Here is one of them.
Once everything is installed and running, it is important to maintain the equipment year after year to ensure a longer life span. There loads of tips online but a check up by a professional is surely the best option.Following these simple steps will ensure you cool summer nights for the next decade.

Advertisement

st_browndc is offline   Reply With Quote