Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell

old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell, when the heat start, it is ok, after about 20-30 minutes, the furnance will give out a smell of buring plastic, any suggestions? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell-fur1.jpg   old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell-fur2.jpg   old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell-fur4.jpg   old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell-fur3.jpg  

zqcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

I would get it checked by a Pro ASAP to make sure it is not producing Carbon Monoxide. Even though that is odorless it tags along with exhaust fumes which may be spilling out the front of your furnace because it is dirty and plugged up inside or your chimney is partly plugged or not drafting properly. That may also be the problem as once it warms up it will draw harder/better and suck out those fumes. Either way it can be a VERY dangerous situation you have now. Where I am the gas co/utility will come for free and check the area for CO so you may want to check with yours and also get a Pro to check it PROPERLY. Your basic $25 CO detector from HDepot etc is not always that accurate or reliable and is supposed to be replaced every 5 yrs as they lose sensitivity so you really need to get the situation checked by some Pros with proper test equipment.

Last edited by yuri; 03-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

sure, thanks, will contact a pro to check it.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

agree with yuri ..get it checked looks bad also check the clearence on the flue pipe to the wooden material around it....it looks like it is way too close for the 1" clearence specs...ben sr........where is the inner sheild with insulation ???

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 03-31-2013 at 02:04 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

got checked by pro this night, the main unit is very good, the problem is there is no water come in and pressure control unit is broken, he asked around $1000 for repair, is it fair price? I did not decide to repair it or not.

thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

I have put pic in the below, the rounded two parts need to be changed, he also opened the bottom valve, there are some dark water come out.
Attached Thumbnails
old American Standard furnance gives out gas/burnt plastic smell-fur4.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
DIY staff

Where are you? Prices vary by location------That might be what it's going to cost----

Would also suggest you start calling that a boiler and not a furnace-----better answers that way---
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

thanks, I am in new york rural area,
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

To me that boiler is starting to look VERY rough and not in good shape. Usually there is insulation on the metal part of it behind the gas valve and that is missing and the large amount of heat from it has overheated the gas valve to the point where the white control knob is now brown and brittle and it is NOT good to expose gas valves to high heat. It may fail soon and I suspect the boiler is close to 30 yrs old. If I had to spend $1000 on repairs now and possibly $500-$750 or more later to replace the gas valve IMO the $$ would be a LOT better spent on a newer more efficient boiler. Your choice of course.

Last edited by yuri; 04-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

thanks yuri, I also think changing the whole unit is better idea, will consult another contract tomorrow to see what is good to do.

also, nationalgrid send a tech for the free check, said the water pump maybe the problem, for there is no water in the glass tube near the unit. so make the unit very hot.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

that is a steam boiler and w/o water in it for awhile could be seriously damaged. It could also blow up when it has no water in it (if the relief valve fails). sounds like the low water cutoff is not working also. I would NOT spend any $$ on repairing it now that it has been run w/o water and overheated for quite a few days and overall is in very rough to poor condition.

Last edited by yuri; 04-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

the guy try offered $1000 to repair told me the main unit is in very good condition and built for working 50 years, anyway, I have another contract coming, will see which is the best way to do, thanks a lot for your help, yuri.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

It is up to you but you got to be careful when you listen to some repair guys. We used to have old guys who hated technology and wanted people to keep their old inefficient belt drive furnaces and throwing money into them. That way they got some work and had some old units they could still work on. I would get a price on a new one from 3 contractors and see what the difference is. It will need a new gas valve at some point in time and more repairs. Steam boilers last a long time it is just a matter of when you want to stop throwing $$ in for repairs, just like a car. Everyone has their own value system and breaking point when it comes too that.

Last edited by yuri; 04-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

If there is no water in the gauge glass. Don't run the boiler. You may or may not have a condensate pump. Can't tell from the pics. You are suppose to blow off the low water cut off on a monthly basis, to make sue the float doesn't get stuck/held up by muck, and allow the boiler to run without enough water in it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #15

thanks a lot for advices, will see what to do tomorrow