Oil Out Of Bleeder, But Not Out Of Burner Tube, Won't Fire - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Oil out of bleeder, but not out of burner tube, won't fire

Okay, it's been really cold here, and I woke up to the oil furnace not working. I reset it, opened the bleeder valve, and I have oil coming out of the bleeder valve. I then checked the nozzle and the burner tube, and none of it is clogged. I installed a new nozzle for the sake of it. I then disconnected the little copper line between the oil pump and the burner tube and turned it on...no oil spurted out of the burner line...checked the bleeder again...I got oil there. I disassembled the pressure regulator in the pump, and everything looks fine. What the heck? I thought if I had oil to the bleeder, then I should have oil pumping to the burner. What gives with that?

Advertisement

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Bleed at least a half quart via bleeder screw..should have strong steady stream of oil and no air ....how's the oil level in tank?...just checkin'...try adjusting pressure regulating screw inwards/clockwise..if still nothing then seems like you may need new/rebuilt pump

Advertisement

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,630

Is it a Beckett clean cut pump? If so, the solenoid could be bad.

Pumps can go bad that they can pump oil out the nozzle line, but can pump it out the bleeder.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Good call guys! It was the oil pump. Just a little Suntec A2VA-7116. I had a friend with an unused oil furnace. He gave me the entire Beckett gun burner off of his. It's actually in better shape than mine and newer. I also swapped out some other parts on it too that appeared to be newer / better. I didn't even need to "suction bleed" the line with a syringe. This appears to have been what my problems have been all along, in the fall, when I commissioned the furnace for the season, and two suspected "line freezes" were basically the pump just didn't have enough "umph" Furnace is also burning much cleaner and less sooty now, and this pump was responsible for me not being able to tune it to a clean burn easily.

a year ago, I was hearing a small whirring noise when we inspected the home before purchasing it. I mentioned it to the inspector, and he just said it's the sound oil furnaces make. Well, it was the sound of the oil pump beginning to fail! Next time I will know to pay attention to my ears a little better!
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote