Oil Line Freezing - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oil Line Freezing

Where can i purchase and or have installed a Thermostatically Controlled Heat tape for my outside Oil Fuel Line to my Furnace - that has frozen up or allowed the oil to gel enough not to flow - the tank is out side and the line needs to be kept warm - this is what i heard works to keep the line warm. Any help or places to go to find out what to do would help. I do not know where to get this Heat tape. Or who i could use to install it ???

Advertisement

beverley 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Oil Line Freezing

Sure it's not just water in the tank that needs to be drained off or a dirty filter?
http://rolliesystems.com/lineheaters.php
I used to live in NH where it is very cold and we never had an insulation or a heater on the line.
Our oil delivery guy use to dump a can of something in the tank every time he filled it up in the winter to keep it from gelling. Might want to ask the oil company what to add.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

Oil Line Freezing

What grade of fuel oil are they delivering to you.? #2 or #1? Number 1 is recomended for winter use. It is generaly a 50:50 mix of number 2 fuel oil and Kerosene. When I was younger I ran a fuel oil truck for 3 years and never had a customer with a frozen or jelled line if it did not have water in it. Get the water drained out if there is any. As as safety precaution 3-4 bottles of isopropyl alcohol will keep the water in suspension and keep it from freezing if there is any left. if this is an above ground tank I can guarantee there is water in there from condensation
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Oil Line Freezing

Thanks for the info guys - will check on number of oil being used 1 or 2 and i already put Kerosine and alcohol in the tank myself and the Oil company puts something in also costs me 18 dollars. Thanks again for the quick replies.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Oil Line Freezing

Kerosene and #1 are the same thing. Kerosene is a trademark name(like Kleenex is to tissue). It was also called coal oil at one time.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Oil Line Freezing

I can't speak for everywhere, but here, at least from my fuel supplier, the oil going into my house heat tank is no different than the fuel going into my off road diesel tank 100' away by the shop. I have a hard time seeing the home fuel gel, probably because mine is deep enough below grade that it can't unless we had a huge freeze. I can't see why you couldn't treat the fuel just like you would for a vehicle that would be far more susceptable to gelling up in cold weather. Something tells me something else is going on here, like maybe you got bad fuel or something.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Oil Line Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley 1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys - will check on number of oil being used 1 or 2 and i already put Kerosine and alcohol in the tank myself and the Oil company puts something in also costs me 18 dollars. Thanks again for the quick replies.
Your area has had some single digit weather. Which is cold enough to gel #2 oil. Depends how much kero you put in the tank, it may not be enough for sub zero weather.

But you probably do have some water in your line.

You can take a heat gun, or hair drier to the line and heat it to get the line to thaw.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Oil Line Freezing

Hey guys thanks for all info - will probably use all of your idears and suggestions through out the winter thanks again. Great site glad I found it - second time i needed help - get good answers all the time here.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Oil Line Freezing

Heere is a list of ten additives for your oil tank.http://www.mitcomfg.com/images/F1560...ons_2sided.pdf
I have used the STR2+ myself with good results.
If you have an outside tank and get a lot of sub 30 degree weather you should have your tank filled with #1 fuel instead of plain fuel oil.If you have weather in the teens and lower then #1 plus the additive.#1 will cost you more than reguliar fuel but it is more processed and work better.There is nothing more irritating then crawling around with a hair dryer in the snow and cold trying to get oil to flow for the furnace.
Good luck.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 266

Oil Line Freezing

Best thing you can do for an outside oil tank is to make sure it is full going into summer. The tank will "breath" as it warms up and cools off during the hot weather and pull moist air into it that will condense into water on the inside of the tank walls at night. Water and oil don't mix!

Outside oil tanks especially should be set so that the outlet on the bottom of the tank is actuall higher than the other end of the tank. Any water will seperate out and sink to the bottom of the tank. By elevating the end that the line comes out of you give yourself a small amount of "safe storage" of potential water.
old_squid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Oil Line Freezing

I prefer to lean them toward the outlet, but have the outlet as a way to drain off any water. And to run the oil line down from the top and keep it off the bottom by 2".
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
danpik (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Oil Line Freezing

Quote:
Outside oil tanks especially should be set so that the outlet on the bottom of the tank is actuall higher than the other end of the tank. Any water will seperate out and sink to the bottom of the tank. By elevating the end that the line comes out of you give yourself a small amount of "safe storage" of potential water.
Quote:
I prefer to lean them toward the outlet, but have the outlet as a way to drain off any water. And to run the oil line down from the top and keep it off the bottom by 2".
Ayuh,.... My theory is, doin' that causes the tank bottom to rust out....

I plumb Mine, so's the oil outlet is dead on the bottom, 'n the line runs downhill, All the way to the filter...

That way, any, 'n All the water goes to the filter to be removed, like it oughta be....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Oil Line Freezing

Several hundred are piped like I said near me. And they haven't rusted out yet from it. No air in the water from condensation to cause oxidation.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
danpik (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Oil Line Freezing

You may be able to get a grant to get a new tank installed in your basement. I ran a piece of bailing wire down the copper line. It was gelled up, I first tried a propane torch and that did not clear it. It was 34 degrees below zero. Never had another problem.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

Oil Line Freezing

I had a similar problem this past winter but it was not my line freezing, but the tank. I was told that I have water, and sludge in it that is freezing on me. Its an old tank with the line coming off the bottom end. I was told that by relocating the line to the top, it would take care of the problem. Would relocating my line really help?

Advertisement

He123321 is offline   Reply With Quote