Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #1

Share |

Oil to Gas Converstion

Hi guys,

I have had oil heater and boiler for the past year, since I moved in, and am considering going to gas because of the damn oil prices and the fact that my big, old appliance has very little efficeny, been told it like 40-50%. I have had some contractors come by and gotten different estimates but do not trust any of them to be honest. What I would like to know is the following:
what should I be expecting to pay around? I live in NYC and have a one story, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom.
what kind of equipment (boiler and heater) should I be looking at? and how much should I expect to pay around for just the equipment?
How much work can I do by myself before having to call the plumbers in?(purchase the equipment, remove the old stuff etc.)
Can I do the demo myself? and if so, how do I go about removing the equip and such?

Any other info that you guys might have would be helpfull.

Thanks all in advance!!!

thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
I have gas!

Oil to Gas Converstion

Check with your local gas company to see if they have an oil to gas conversion program.
I paid a total of $5000 for a boiler ($200), water heater, oil tank removal ($300), and chimney liner ($700). The cost of the boiler from the gas company was only $200. I also switched from steam to hot water and had them only install the boiler. I took care of the rest of the installation.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #3

Oil to Gas Converstion

Having been through this on Long Island I will tell you what to watch out for.

If the gas company has a deal going, they probably have an approved contractor's list. They will ALL be priced higher than others, because they are counting on the customers they get through ther conversion program believing that ONLY those contractors on the gas company's list can do the work. In addition, they're flush with a neverending list of conversion clients so they have no need to quote rockbottom prices.

Get quotes from plumbers not in the program. When I converted, the deal was free boiler. But the 3 contractors from the approved list all came in at over $3000.00. The "free" boiler itself (provided by Keyspan) was dwarfed by the absurd installation cost. Imagine what someone would pay for a $750.00 gas boiler and a $250.00 gas water heater, installed. $1000.00 in equipment an $2000.00 in LABOR? It takes 2 guys 8 hours to do the job, and for me that included all the gas piping from the meter to the boiler.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
I have gas!

Oil to Gas Converstion

LawnGuy makes a good point, I could have probably got out cheaper by shopping plumbers. In my analysis I shopped for boilers on my own and came up with about $1600 price for boiler and $400 for the water heater alone but I didn't try too hard to shop it down.
I got three quotes from Keyspan "suggested" plumbers and they all came within few bucks of each other.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #5

Oil to Gas Converstion

thanks all for the responses. My plan to cut down the cost is to buy the heater and the boiler myself, remove the old stuff myself or professionally but not from the contractor who is going to do the installment. Do you guys think this will help me with the cost? Should I do professionally or myself? and what can I do with the old euipment? Sell it? I am just going to have plumber do actual installment. How much would you say I should be expecting to pay for this job? How much should I be spending on the boiler and the heater? ANy one have some recommendations? brands? size?
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #6

Oil to Gas Converstion

I have a weil-mclain oil boiler. I am converting to gas, since my boiler is efficient and not very old, I am considering a conversion kit($750.00). Has anyone done this? Please let me know. Also,natural gas is an american resource.
U.S.gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

Oil to Gas Converstion

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.gas View Post
I have a weil-mclain oil boiler. I am converting to gas, since my boiler is efficient and not very old, I am considering a conversion kit($750.00). Has anyone done this? Please let me know. Also,natural gas is an american resource.
U.S.gas,
What do you call old? I have a Prestige Triangle Tube Boiler that is 96% efficient and I also use it to heat my domestic hot water as well. Conversion kits might get you 80% eff., but considering the cast iron in the system you probably won't get that hi. You will save $ though because of the price of oil. If your boiler is say over10-15 yrs. you might consider the higher efficiency.

Quote:
thanks all for the responses. My plan to cut down the cost is to buy the heater and the boiler myself, remove the old stuff myself or professionally but not from the contractor who is going to do the installment. Do you guys think this will help me with the cost? Should I do professionally or myself? and what can I do with the old euipment? Sell it? I am just going to have plumber do actual installment. How much would you say I should be expecting to pay for this job? How much should I be spending on the boiler and the heater? ANy one have some recommendations? brands? size?
thewizard,

To get rid of it you can scrap it out or maybe sell it if you are lucky. As far as gas boilers go, there ars several brands that have a high efficiency upwards of 95-96%. Weil McLain, Triangle Tube, and suddenly I'm drawing a blank for the rest, you see my point. Yes you can install it yourself, but if you make the mistakes, or damage something it's on you. You may think contractors are high, but it's one less headache for you. Shop around for a 95% eff. get at least 3 estimates.

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote