Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 599
Share |
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


ryanb..what is that box like unit in the stack/flue at back of boiler? Looks like a thermal heat exchanger that extracts excess heat from stack before gases are vented to chimney. Is it working. Does it help heat the air in the boiler room OR are there pipes running through it to preheat system water OR domestic Hot Water? Is there a fan on it. Is there a temperature controller on it. Does water circulate through it?

CURIOUS!

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 599
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


looks pretty ancient...It's up to you but I wouldn't spend more than $2K on conversiion then you could have more problems so, On second thought..GO WITH HI EFF GAS NOW..if you can manage it. BIG SMILE WHEN YOU GET YOUR GAS BILL!
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,401
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Unfortunately, by only getting 100 gallons at a time, you probably also pay a higher per gallon price for a short delivery.

Get an electric water heater, and stop using that tankless coil, and you can save yourself 200 plus gallons a year on oil.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 195
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


I always ask what the price is per gallon first. He doesn't up charge. Everyone around here is a 100 gal minimum. I was think of n electric water heater but then I was told it would ruin the gasket and it would leak.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
manual d for sizing of the new furnace....

A manual D for a boiler..
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,244
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
A manual D for a boiler..
thougth they were talking about new furnace....missed the boiler part....getting old and can't read....thanks..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
thougth they were talking about new furnace....missed the boiler part....getting old and can't read....thanks..

You aren't the only one getting old....I'm surprised I caught it!
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,244
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
You aren't the only one getting old....I'm surprised I caught it!
say what
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #24
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,401
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
I always ask what the price is per gallon first. He doesn't up charge. Everyone around here is a 100 gal minimum. I was think of n electric water heater but then I was told it would ruin the gasket and it would leak.
The boiler low limit can be set to only maintain 100 degree temp if your afraid of the gasket getting hard and cracking.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 599
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Don't worry about gaskets..most boilers are "off" for the summer and don't have the problem. Should be OK as long as you don't drain the boiler and leave it empty for a long period of time.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 195
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Is this something I can do. Or should I have a plumber.i can do electric and basic plumbing.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,401
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


You can DIY.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 195
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy
ryanb..what is that box like unit in the stack/flue at back of boiler? Looks like a thermal heat exchanger that extracts excess heat from stack before gases are vented to chimney. Is it working. Does it help heat the air in the boiler room OR are there pipes running through it to preheat system water OR domestic Hot Water? Is there a fan on it. Is there a temperature controller on it. Does water circulate through it?

CURIOUS!
There is a switch on wired to it. It's basically a fan. It goes on once in awhile my guess is to heat the boiler room because the other side of the basement has baseboard heaters.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 195
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy
looks pretty ancient...It's up to you but I wouldn't spend more than $2K on conversiion then you could have more problems so, On second thought..GO WITH HI EFF GAS NOW..if you can manage it. BIG SMILE WHEN YOU GET YOUR GAS BILL!
This was installed in 1997. I would happy to get gas but I don't have $5000 for the installation.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #30
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

Oil to Gas Conversion Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
This was installed in 1997. I would happy to get gas but I don't have $5000 for the installation.

How long will it take you to spend $5000 on oil?

__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Valve 7200 IPER-S7C LP Conversion mikefrommi HVAC 5 03-06-2011 09:40 PM
Installing elevated wood floor in garage conversion. FWatty Flooring 0 02-22-2011 03:49 PM
Garage Conversion SDEngr Remodeling 13 06-01-2010 04:11 PM
You too can buy an AFCI breaker for $1000! Gigs Electrical 19 02-09-2009 03:13 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.