DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Oil to Gas Conversion Estimate

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mracine923 
#1 ·
Hello! I've seen this question asked a few times but I've got an interesting situation that I'm hoping a plumber can help with...
I have a barely working oil furnace that isn't producing enough heat/hot water and I need to either service or replace. It's not worth putting another penny into this thing so I'm considering a gas conversion. I called National Grid who put me in touch with a contractor. This contractor knew that my furnace was dead and that I'm not getting any hot water when he made the estimate. His estimate was $6000 for a one bathroom condo. I know that this is high....especially because my upstairs neighbor replaced hers for $4000. My question is would this contractor have upped the price because it was an emergency/urgent replacement? If so, is this a normal practice or is it even legal?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to get a few estimates on the system and I know that the contractors I've talked to are trying to sell me the best-of-the-best and they know that I have to pay it. Any rough idea of what a tankless water system and new gas furnace might run me? Gas is already in the place and it's a small (1000 sq ft) 1 bathroom condo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.