Oil To Gas Conversion Estimate - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oil to Gas Conversion Estimate

Hello! I've seen this question asked a few times but I've got an interesting situation that I'm hoping a plumber can help with...
I have a barely working oil furnace that isn't producing enough heat/hot water and I need to either service or replace. It's not worth putting another penny into this thing so I'm considering a gas conversion. I called National Grid who put me in touch with a contractor. This contractor knew that my furnace was dead and that I'm not getting any hot water when he made the estimate. His estimate was $6000 for a one bathroom condo. I know that this is high....especially because my upstairs neighbor replaced hers for $4000. My question is would this contractor have upped the price because it was an emergency/urgent replacement? If so, is this a normal practice or is it even legal?

Advertisement

mracine923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Don't use National Grid's contractor. They usually charge much more than your local plumber would. I would suggest just calling a plumber to install. NG still honors any incentives from any licensed plumber.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to get a few estimates on the system and I know that the contractors I've talked to are trying to sell me the best-of-the-best and they know that I have to pay it. Any rough idea of what a tankless water system and new gas furnace might run me? Gas is already in the place and it's a small (1000 sq ft) 1 bathroom condo.
mracine923 is offline   Reply With Quote