Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

Oil Furnace spare parts

I have an oil fired Rheem 135,000 BTU forced air furnace in the home my wife and I purchased in the spring. It has a common Beckett burner on it. I would like to have a few parts on hand for one of those "cold dark nights".

I am looking to have a set of electrodes, a nozzle, and some filters on hand in case the furnace won't light. Any other parts should I keep on hand? I have found the parts online, but I would prefer to purchase locally at a hardware store, appliance shop, etc, or would I need a contractor's license to purchase the parts at a supply house (like Johnstone supply) I would prefer to purchase from a brick & mortar store.

Next, how can I find out what type/size of nozzle the furnace has in it without disassembling the furnace? I cannot find it written on it what it has in it anywhere.

Last, My father has a diesel pickup truck that he must plug in to keep the fuel from thick when it gets really cold. Being that fuel oil is basically the same stuff without road tax, Is this a problem with oil furnaces, and if so, is there a fuel additive or stabilizer that I can pour into the fuel oil to minimize this? If so where could I get this, or could I just use a diesel fuel stabilizer in it. I've heard of adding some kerosene or a little gasoline to the oil to help with this.

Also, can I burn cooking fryer oil (filtered or course) in the burner. I've heard of people doing this with diesel cars, diluting it with plenty of petroleum diesel, so if I pour say a gallon of veggie oil into the fuel oil tank when it's got say 200 gallons in it, will it cause any problems?

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Oil Furnace spare parts

Never put gasoline in a fuel oil tank. Your urnace will blow up, and take out you and anybody else in the house.

Use kerosene to thin it when its gonna be below 20 for extended periods of time, if your tank isn't on the west or southwest side of the house.

Don't put cooking oil in it either, the viscosity is too high. If it doesn't thin out, it will clog the nozzle.

Best way is to remove the draw assembly and see what size, spray angle and pattern nozzle is in it.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Oil Furnace spare parts

there's 144,000 btuh per U.S. gallon ,,which will vary slightly depending on pressure therefore, a standby nozzle of 0.80USGPH should be OK EXCEPT..you also have to know the spray angle and pattern..Should be on the furnace name plate..if not you will have to pull the burner drawer to check..WRONG ANGLE/PATTERN = DISASTER!
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #4

Oil Furnace spare parts

Kerosene...perfect. I figured since a furnace burns it's oil in a completely different way from a reciprocating engine that what worked as fuel additives for one may not work with the other. I'll be sure to remember to get some kero if the weather supposed to turn bitter cold. The tank is on the south side of the house, but the lot is very wooded, and it doesn't get a lot of sunlight.

I looked all over the furnace again last night and didn't see any nozzle spec's. This weekend, I'm going to open up the burner then and get the specs off the nozzle. I tried Lowe's last night to try and find a fuel oil filter. The guy there had no clue and sent me to the power equipment section and showed me an oil filter for a lawn mower engine! We have a Ferguson plumbing shop not too far away from me. I'm going to try there at the suggestion of some of the folks around town!
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #5

Oil Furnace spare parts

Any plumbing supply should have the filters.

I used to live in NH for about 30 years where it get's bitter cold, I've seen it freeze water pipes that were more then 2' under ground. We always had oil heat with tanks sitting outside exposted to the wind and never once did we add anything to the oil tank to thin it down. And never had a problum.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote