Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Oil Furnace Problem and its Sunday!!

Hi, I am not an HVAC Pro, I'm a handyman, I know, jack of all trades, ...
Anyway, I am working on a house with an oil furnace. I first replaced the nozzle, exact type, and the oil filter. New nozzle clogged up within a week. I then pulled the nozzle and cleaned it, cleaned the pump strainer and cleaned the air band on the Beckett oil burner, it was just barley open and dirty. Now it is working but smelling in the house. Smoke puffing out the stack damper. I had moved the air band to clean the openings and moved it back towards original setting but very slightly open more. Flame viewed through the inspection door is very spread out, wide, I don,t think it should look like that, but no smoke in the combustion chamber. Could I have damaged the nozzle. What else would cause that. The only other thing I changed was the air band setting slightly open more than it was after I cleaned it. Furnace was not acting this way before. I guess I will wait until tomorrow to get a new nozzle, then contact my HVAC Guy. Just hopping for some feedback. Yes, I have turned the unit off, I'm a handyman, not a dummy! My Bacharach Electronic Gas Analyzer is reading 1 ppm inside house, negligible.

Last edited by Bluwolf; 01-15-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: adding info
Bluwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I am not an HVAC Pro,
Ayuh,... Me neither, but, My guess is, it's dirty...
If the H/E is sooted up, 'n the chimney is sooted up, it ain't gettin' the draft it needs...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

I will NEVER EVER clean a nozzle as it never works properly. Get a new one and try again. You should get it setup properly by a Pro with a combustion analyzer so it burns cleanly and efficiently and yes oil furnaces can and do produce CO carbon monoxide which can kill you or the tenants.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

How bad was the filter? I bet the tank is dirty or is your tank full? If it is running low and all the crap on the bottom of the tank can be getting through the system
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
How bad was the filter? I bet the tank is dirty or is your tank full? If it is running low and all the crap on the bottom of the tank can be getting through the system
The oil line filter was a little gunky but not terrible. The tank is about half Full. I'm sure there is some dirt on bottom of tank but my measuring stick gets no visible gunk on bottom of stick. Maybe I damaged the nozzle when I cleaned it. There are no supply stores open on Sunday, otherwise I would have bought a new one, had no extras. My Bacharach gas analyzer reads 1 ppm, negligible.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Do you have a tractor supply store near by?
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
Do you have a tractor supply store near by?
Thanks for responding Tater. Not nearby, but if they were open I would check that out. The nozzle is a small one, .50. Even some small HVAC supplies don't stock that one.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
REP

The differance between getting it to burn and producing heat is widely,hugely differant than setting it up with instraments.It could mean up to $400 extra by the end of the year.
Do this house a favor and find a amn that has and knows how to use the instraments.
Guessing and by eye went out of style 20 years ago and todays fuel costs demand it unless the owner is independently wealthy.
Also just so you know,the smaller the nozzle the easier it is to plug up .Nozzles are cheap,cleaning them is not worth it,the labor alone is more than a properly priced nozzle.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
The differance between getting it to burn and producing heat is widely,hugely differant than setting it up with instraments.It could mean up to $400 extra by the end of the year.
Do this house a favor and find a amn that has and knows how to use the instraments.
Guessing and by eye went out of style 20 years ago and todays fuel costs demand it unless the owner is independently wealthy.
Also just so you know,the smaller the nozzle the easier it is to plug up .Nozzles are cheap,cleaning them is not worth it,the labor alone is more than a properly priced nozzle.
Yep, as I said I'm going to call him on Monday. We replace this nozzle and filter yearly. Yep, I am also aware that the .50 is a very small nozzle, hence smaller opening, easier to clog. This unit was already "set up" I would never do an install, I know my limits. This was just a "quick" cleanup and shouldn't have changed any fuel/air mixture. I adjusted the air band on the pump open only slightly and am going to set it back with a new nozzle, WHEN THE STORES ARE OPEN on Monday. That was the reason for just trying to clean it, new NA. Thanks anyway!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #10

Iwould call a tech in on this one oil is tricky..need to set draft damper..and do a smoke test...need equiptment for oil...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Bluwolf (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Iwould call a tech in on this one oil is tricky..need to set draft damper..and do a smoke test...need equiptment for oil...
Yep
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwolf View Post
Yep
doing the right thing hope it all works out see ya
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwolf View Post
The oil line filter was a little gunky but not terrible. The tank is about half Full. I'm sure there is some dirt on bottom of tank but my measuring stick gets no visible gunk on bottom of stick. Maybe I damaged the nozzle when I cleaned it. There are no supply stores open on Sunday, otherwise I would have bought a new one, had no extras. My Bacharach gas analyzer reads 1 ppm, negligible.
Ayuh,.... Is it a black nasty slime,..??

The tank might have algae,..
When ya go get that new nozzle, grab a bottle of tank treatment, 'n dump it in...
Ya might wanta grab a spare filter too, 'n change it again in month,...
It'll gather up the dead critters...
Quote:
Originally Posted by REP

The obvious results of a rich burn is sootin' up, right,..??
What's does a Lean burn do,..??

I'm a Mechanic, not a HVAC Tech, So I understand efficient burns, 'n know what happens in gas or diesel motors...

I've just never run into the answer to the effects of a lean burn in a furnace firebox...
I'm curious,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Is it a black nasty slime,..??

The tank might have algae,..
When ya go get that new nozzle, grab a bottle of tank treatment, 'n dump it in...
Ya might wanta grab a spare filter too, 'n change it again in month,...
It'll gather up the dead critters...

The obvious results of a rich burn is sootin' up, right,..??
What's does a Lean burn do,..??

I'm a Mechanic, not a HVAC Tech, So I understand efficient burns, 'n know what happens in gas or diesel motors...

I've just never run into the answer to the effects of a lean burn in a furnace firebox...
I'm curious,...
If you are refering to a high air mix being a lean burn then it is a matter of the tempature of the burn.The more air then the less temp.
If you have to err on one side ,err on too much air and then change it with instraments as soon as you can.
The set up methods reccomended for today is to set it just at zero smoke.The idea is that you will have a very small loss of effiency but what burn effiency you do have will last for a much longer time span.The old way was to get the best effiency and leave it like that.The only trouble was that at the highest effiency you would get a trace of smoke.This smoke (soot) started to accumulate on the heat exchange surfaces and at the end of the heating season you would have a layer of soot which would be acting as a insulator causing longer burn times to transfer the heat.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
how (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #15

Tip, if you are moving or changing a setting always mark the original spot with a pencil, I am not approving of changing settings without the proper combustion analyzer and tools it's just a heads up and you can use this with wiring also.
Do not remove wires without first writing down where they go and the color of them.
If you can get a new nozzle and filter install the both and put everything back where it was and re-fire, don't forget to fill the filter canister with clean oil before staring. Have a Pro come ASAP to set it up properly.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote