Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

oil furnace odor

I have a forced air oil furnace. Its 27 years old. When its running, it has a oil like odor. The odor is not coming through the vents throughout the house. Its just in the basement. If I have my basement windows open, the odor disappears. But, if I shut the windows the odor returns. I just had my furnace serviced and cleaned in October. The tech put in a new filter on my oil tank also. I have this done every year. This odor has always been there, but this year it seems to be stronger. I had some guests over the other day, and they told me that there is something wrong with it, and that the odor could kill me. Is this a issue or am I being told BS???

jmix69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

oil furnace odor

It can harm or kill you depending how much Carbon Monoxide is in the vapor making the odor.

Could be that your furnace has a bad heat exchanger. Or that your basement doesn't and hasn't ever had enough air for your furnace to work right. And is drawing combusted vapor out of the draft regulator.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #3

oil furnace odor

Call a heating pro to check out your heater, when you get off the phone go out and buy a Carbon Monoxide detector and put it in service.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

oil furnace odor

Thanks for the info. I just looked at it again, the exhaust pipe that goes out of the house was not connected the whole way to the pipe coming out of the furnace. the pipe must have worked itself loose over the years. I just called for a tech to come out. They told me on the phone that they can put heat tape on the pipes so that they stay connected. Until they get here, I'm letting the windows open in my basement so that the fumes go outside. it sounds like a simple fix.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

oil furnace odor

You are 1 lucky guy, that is the killer pipe.

You can buy a roll of metal tape and fix it yourself. Good Luck.

You should also screw it and then tape it with all the joints going the direction of flow to the stack.

Last edited by COLDIRON; 11-30-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Changed text
Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

oil furnace odor

I don't know about anyone else, but we don't and you should not use tape of any kind on flue pipe.... it should all be put together with 3 screws on each end of a fitting or section of pipe.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

oil furnace odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but we don't and you should not use tape of any kind on flue pipe.... it should all be put together with 3 screws on each end of a fitting or section of pipe.
Except B vent. B vent is not suppose to be screwed together. It has its own fastening methods, twist lock, locking clips and ring, etc. But is not allowed to be used on oil equipment.

Single wall is suppose to be screwed together, with 3 screws as you posted. As it is a code requirement.

Tape is not required on either, since both are only to be used on negative pressure vent systems.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #8

oil furnace odor

I don't use metal tape on flues but I know a guy that is a chimney expert that installs liners, cleans, repairs, certifies flues and chimneys for the underwriters for many many years that uses tape and screws on smoke pipe, not B vent double wall. He is known by all the inspectors in the County and they all sign off on all his work. He performs all occupancy inspections in one town. I use zip screws. Why not tape if it's metal after the three screws?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #9

oil furnace odor

the tech came today. I asked him about the tape. He told me according to local code, as long as the screws are attached on the ends of the pipes heat resistant tape can then be wrapped around the ends over top of the screws for support purposes only. If the screws can not be attached for any reason, the pipes have to be replaced. the issue was that the screws over the years have fallen out, then the pipes came apart. It apparently has never been caught by the service techs all these years. The fumes could of killed me years ago. I'm going to watch everything the techs do from now on.