Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oil Furnace Newbie

I just moved from Ohio to New York and was surprised when I found that like everyone here uses heating oil. So my new house has a newer unit and it seems to be working just fine with one odd exception. I would like to know if it's normal.

When the temp. drops the burner kicks in a burns for alittle bit and then the blower kicks in and heats just fine then at the end of heating the house the burner turns off and the blower continues for a while. This seems all completely normal for me.

However, I just install a wood burning stove and so I changed how I use the furnace. I set the thermostat (mercury) at just under 65, the idea being that I'll heat the house with wood but if the wood runs out in the night or if I end up being away from home for a couple days the furnace will kick in and still keep it decent for the pets.

I've been waking up to the blower on the furnace running. I have gotten up and it's blowing slightly warm air. It blows for about 90 secs and turns off, then about 30-45 minutes later it kicks on again and blows again, it continues like this until I get the wood burner going again. This only seems to happen when I have it at around 65. If I set it to 70 it seems to kick in normally like it did before the wood stove.

I'm assuming this is not normal and that its a thermostat issue? The only thing I have left to do is check the tempature at the thermostat when this happens.

sbfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2

Oil Furnace Newbie

Is the wood stove ducted into the return duct of the furnace? If so the heat from it may trigger the fan control in the furnace to turn on. Not dangerous.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #3

Oil Furnace Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Is the wood stove ducted into the return duct of the furnace? If so the heat from it may trigger the fan control in the furnace to turn on. Not dangerous.

Nope, the two are totally separate.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8

Oil Furnace Newbie

Sounds like its working the way it is suppose to. Set at 65, it probably doesn't run often or long.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Oil Furnace Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Sounds like its working the way it is suppose to. Set at 65, it probably doesn't run often or long.
Last night I caught it kicking in every ten minutes and running for only about 20-30 seconds. More and more I'm thinking something is wrong. It can't be goo to kick in that frequently. I'm wondering if the threshold of the thermostat is screwed up. I mean when the temperature of a room hits what the termostat is set for should it not kick on and bring the room above what it is set for? Or should it not wait until the temp. is a few degrees lower than what it is set for and then kick in and bring it up to what it is set at?

If it kicks in when it hit 64 and then brings it to 65 then it is going to run alot and not for long considering the thermostat is accross the room from the output.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8

Oil Furnace Newbie

Could be a thermostat issue

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower, furnance, oil, oil furnace