Oil Furnace Cycles Frequently - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

oil furnace cycles frequently

I sit and listen to our oil furnace in the evenings sometimes. It cycles through a lot. Sometimes it will kick on and only run for 3 or 4 seconds and kick off again. Other times it will run for a minute kick off for a minute and kick back on again. This doesn't seem like it is a good thing to me. What could be causing this? I've not been overly concerned because my home is warm, but.. Do I need to have someone come out to my home to look at it?

Advertisement

rachs79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #2

Had a similar problem. Have an hvac tech check igniters for carbon build up, nozzle, filter, etc. If you change your in-line oil filter, dump contents in a glass and watch for water on the bottom of the glass. These are only the easy things to fix.

Advertisement

ROCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

I had the same problem. My oil company came to fix it 4 times. They ended up replacing the igniter free as part of my plan, and another part for $250 that wasn't covered. Not sure the name of it but it is where the controls for the min and max temperature are. I actually think this last one was replaced for no reason since I could tell he replaced this part first and then the igniter. I couldn't prove it so I left it alone. It's be running fine ever since. I would get it fixed asap. Can't be good to all the other parts. Good luck.

Nelson
nelaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #4

Hello....

New to this forum....
I have a weil-mclain qb180 oil burner that runs fine for a few days then won't fire up. Have to go down and hit reset button to get burner to run. Back in february had almost full tank of oil delivered, every since then i have had this problem. Where should I start, water in fuel? cad sensor? ignitor? I have read so many threads I have no clue. Service guys were here, cleaned furnace, replace nozzle, filter.... that was yesterday. woke up this morning and wasn't working, hit reset and been working all day...... anyone have a clue for me.....

Rob
relhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #5

My problem was due to a fast fill that stirred a lot of water and sediment. After everything settled out, my furnace has been ok. I suggest a water test (water settles to the bottom) by a competent hvac tech. in the summer and a tune up. My furnace wouldn't fire after a reset. Luckily, my problem was an easy fix for me. Since I know that I have a water problem, I'm waiting for warmer times to try a jerry-rigged drill pump to remove the water. My initial test on a two foot pull went ok. I need to be able to pull 9 ft. through 1/2 in. pvc tubing. I cannot drain water from the bottom. You may be able to do that. Good luck.
ROCCO is offline   Reply With Quote