Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oil fired forced hot water furnace...

My furnace has a well taken care of, 20 year old Becket burner. It's a model AFG with a Carlin 03 249 ignition transformer, and a Honeywell R8184G 4009 primary controller. When the thermostat calls for heat/hot water, I hear the ignition start, but the motor will not start unless I give it a firm wrap with a closed fist. The electrodes look a bit worn, but once I get it going, it runs well for at least that cycle if not a second one. Anything I can do short of calling in the pros? I do have experience with our waste oil furnace at work, as well as taking direction over the phone troubleshooting probs like this, but thought Id try out this website for help...... Thank you..... Scott

RScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,774

Either the motor is going out or the primary.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

I'm good with the controller, but in the event it's the motor on the Becket burner, I'm wondering how involved replacing it would be. Will it unbolt easily, or is there a puller required....... Thank you again....
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,774

2 bolts holds the motor on. need allens wrenches to remove the blower wheel. usually comes off real easy.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottG View Post
My furnace has a well taken care of, 20 year old Becket burner. It's a model AFG with a Carlin 03 249 ignition transformer, and a Honeywell R8184G 4009 primary controller. When the thermostat calls for heat/hot water, I hear the ignition start, but the motor will not start unless I give it a firm wrap with a closed fist. The electrodes look a bit worn, but once I get it going, it runs well for at least that cycle if not a second one. Anything I can do short of calling in the pros? I do have experience with our waste oil furnace at work, as well as taking direction over the phone troubleshooting probs like this, but thought Id try out this website for help...... Thank you..... Scott
has it been serviced lately...new nozzle.. clean electrodes, and have them adjusted....did you check for any loose wires...ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

More than likely the burner motor start switch. If you replace the motor replace the primary control at the same time. My experience is that if the burner motor doesn't start more than just a couple of times the current it pulls trying to start damages the relay contacts in the primary that control it. A few months after the motor replacement, the control stops working.

Burner motor start switches stop working mostly for two different reasons. 1) Someone has yearly over oiled the end bearing of the motor. 2) The basement or area the burner is in gets very damp during summer months.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

I'll check into it all today, and want to thank you for your help......