DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Oil fired forced hot water furnace...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RScottG 
#1 ·
My furnace has a well taken care of, 20 year old Becket burner. It's a model AFG with a Carlin 03 249 ignition transformer, and a Honeywell R8184G 4009 primary controller. When the thermostat calls for heat/hot water, I hear the ignition start, but the motor will not start unless I give it a firm wrap with a closed fist. The electrodes look a bit worn, but once I get it going, it runs well for at least that cycle if not a second one. Anything I can do short of calling in the pros? I do have experience with our waste oil furnace at work, as well as taking direction over the phone troubleshooting probs like this, but thought Id try out this website for help...... Thank you..... Scott

#6 ·
More than likely the burner motor start switch. If you replace the motor replace the primary control at the same time. My experience is that if the burner motor doesn't start more than just a couple of times the current it pulls trying to start damages the relay contacts in the primary that control it. A few months after the motor replacement, the control stops working.

:whistling2: Burner motor start switches stop working mostly for two different reasons. 1) Someone has yearly over oiled the end bearing of the motor. 2) The basement or area the burner is in gets very damp during summer months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.