Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Oil Burner/Boiler & Tankless Water Heaters

I have a Weil Mclain boiler that is 24 years old and I may decide to upgrade to a new boiler with burner. Now its my understanding that boilers only have a water capacity for domestic use of about 2-1/2 to 3 gallons of hot water. That is the way my boiler is operating now and we have to wait a few minutes before we get hot water again. So I am looking at these whole house tankless water heaters. I am interested in those that can operate on propane gas. My secondary choice would be electric because I think propane would be cheaper to run. We do not have natural gas.
I have a brochure of the "Rinnai" whole house tankless water heaters. so I need some recommendations on boilers, oilburners and tankless whole house water heaters; pro's and con's.
Will the above idea work efficiently for me? I also considered an indirect water heater to run off of the oilburner/boiler but the prices on these are outragious as they are nothing more then a hot water tank with a thremostat that allows the boiler to heat the water. I seen prices on the net between 800 to 1100 delivered for an Indirect Water Heater,tax not included.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

The tankless are ok. have to stay within their GPM rating. If you get one too big, it won't come on when you only use a little flow from a faucet. Too small, and you can't take a shower.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

done lots of tank less..... they work but not my favorite.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I have a Weil Mclain boiler that is 24 years old and I may decide to upgrade to a new boiler with burner. Now its my understanding that boilers only have a water capacity for domestic use of about 2-1/2 to 3 gallons of hot water. That is the way my boiler is operating now and we have to wait a few minutes before we get hot water again.
Ayuh,.... Do you have a flow control valve in the DWline,....

When I went to usin' my DW coil, it went cold quick, at 3/4" in, 'n out, til I put the restricter in,...
Now it's nearly non-stop hotwater...

The 1 I sweat in was dail adjustable,... something like 1, or 2, or 3 gal.p.minute..
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
REP

Rewards Points: 500

For fewer problems ,I much perfer the domestic water tanks trhat are looped off the boiler.If you use a lot of hot water a 50 or 80 gallon tank would not let you down.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
For fewer problems ,I much perfer the domestic water tanks trhat are looped off the boiler.If you use a lot of hot water a 50 or 80 gallon tank would not let you down.
First of all your boiler at 24 years is far from old. And this suggestion is something you should seriously consider. A water tank off on it's own loop is a good idea....and you already have the heat source.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 502

Thanks all,
I have no experience in oilburner/boiler terminology or valves and will be depending on my neighbor who is a heating contractor to install whatever I decide.
Missouri Bound's suggestion is one that I should give more consideration. My neighbor gave me the brochure on the tankless water heater and I'll ask him about the economics of a regular water heater piped into the boiler output connections.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjordan392 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (01-01-2013)